Poll: 80 Percent of Likely GOP Voters Say Trump Should Be Able to Serve as President Even if Convicted

According to a poll released on Sunday, 80 percent of likely Republican primary voters believe that former President Trump should be eligible to return to the presidency even if he is convicted in the federal case about classified documents. The poll reveals that only 20 percent of likely GOP primary voters believe that Trump should be barred from serving as president again if convicted. Trump was indicted last week on 37 counts related to the documents seized from his Mar-a-Lago estate last August. 

Advertisement

Out of the likely GOP primary voters, only 12 percent expressed concern about the documents being a national security risk, while a super majority, 76 percent, believed that the indictment against Trump was politically motivated. An additional 12 percent expressed concerns about both aspects.

A majority of the group, 61 percent, said that the indictment would not change their view of the former president, while 7 percent said it might change their view negatively, and 14 percent believed it might change their view positively. Eighteen percent felt that their view would depend on further information.

Two-thirds of likely GOP primary voters would prefer that Trump refrains from discussing the ongoing investigations against him during his 2024 campaign, while 39 percent indicated a preference for Trump to address the issue.

In a hypothetical Republican primary, former President Trump leads with 61 percent support from respondents, saying that they will vote for him, while Florida Governor Ron DeSantis comes in a distant second place with 23 percent.

The poll was conducted from June 7 to 10 and involved 2,480 American adults, of which 1,798 were contacted again after the unsealing of Trump’s indictment. The margin of error for the subgroup of likely Republican primary voters was plus or minus 5.5 percentage points.

Advertisement

Trump is summoned to appear for arraignment on Tuesday at a federal courthouse in Miami, where he will become the first former President in U.S. history to be indicted on federal charges. On Saturday, Trump said that he would continue his candidacy even if convicted. 


Read More:

‘I’ll Never Leave’: Trump Will Run for President Even if He’s Convicted


On Sunday, team Trump announced that following his court appearance he will be attending the first major fundraiser for his presidential campaign. The fundraiser will take place at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., for what advisers say will be the first in a string of gatherings of donors across the nation. 

The campaign said it anticipated the event to raise $2 million, aiming to pad coffers just weeks before the end of the second-quarter deadline. Speedily, donations flooded in after Trump’s previous indictment out of Manhattan. Within the first 24 hours, the campaign raised $4 million, stating that over 25 percent of contributions came from first-time donors of the former President. By the end of day three, that number had jumped to $7 million, according to Trump Senior Advisor Jason Miller.

Advertisement

Per the event invitation, supporters who bundle at least $100,000 will attend a private candlelight dinner. Other incentives include photo opportunities with Trump and a “VIP reception with elected officials & special guests.” The proceeds will go towards a joint fundraising committee splitting contributions between the Trump campaign, retaining 90 percent, and Trump’s Save America PAC, which receives the remaining 10 percent.

Sponsored

Recommended

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on RedState Videos