Yesterday I told you about the State Department website, Share America, and how they seemed to be advertising President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort.
Apparently, there was enough of a stink raised that the post – which had been up since April 4 – was deleted from the site.
The blog, initially posted on Share America, a State Department platform used for sharing what it describes as “compelling stories” detailed the history of Trump’s “Winter White House.”
It immediately led to concerns that the U.S. government was promoting Trump’s private resort.
“The intention of the article was to inform the public about where the President has been hosting world leaders,” the web page now reads. “We regret any misperception and have removed the post.”
You would think that some things would just jump out at them as obvious.
I’m even willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, in regards to the background and history of the estate being interesting enough to bring up, in some context, but given that it is a for-profit business for the president, caution should have prevailed in this matter. He’s already being closely scrutinized for any hint of using his office as president to enrich himself.
— Ron Wyden (@RonWyden) April 24, 2017
CNN’s Jake Tapper pointed out to the troubling optics yesterday.
“Well, they’re just shamelessly promoting his products on U.S. government, taxpayer-financed websites. And we know that Mar-a-Lago has benefited from President Trump being elected president,” he said on CNN’s “The Lead” on Monday.
The facts are, Trump doubled the membership fee to Mar-a-Lago after winning the presidency, so he’s definitely cashing in on his new position.
Trump can’t afford to make these kinds of ethical miscalculations, and neither can members of his administration.
Moving forward, let’s hope this was just an error in judgment that doesn’t happen again.