Iran Threatens Offensive Action in Strait of Hormuz As Interim Deal Expires

AP Photo, File

A senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Tehran has shifted from a defensive posture to a “fully offensive” one and is prepared to escalate in the Strait of Hormuz if diplomacy with the United States fails.“Iranian entities must be prepared to escalate tensions in the Strait of Hormuz and wider region, as Iran will be ready to make decisions and take action on difficult decisions,” the official said. 

The Iranian official added that Iran would conduct a “timely and precise” military attack aimed at breaking the U.S. naval blockade if talks collapse.

Advertisement

Iran's bold warning comes on the day the 60-day window under a June 17 memorandum of understanding expired without a permanent agreement. That interim deal had called for an immediate halt to military operations and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas previously passed. 

The arrangement quickly frayed after Iranian forces attacked commercial vessels attempting to transit the Strait of Hormuz in late June and early July, actions the Trump administration described as clear violations of the ceasefire terms. Washington rejected Tehran’s claim that the MoU granted it primary management rights over the waterway. Hostilities resumed, and President Trump declared the pact “over” in early July.

Iran is now demanding that all provisions of the original understanding be implemented within a matter of weeks as a precondition for any further negotiations. At the same time, Iranian officials claim they are close to a separate understanding with Oman on future shipping routes through the strait. 

Advertisement

That understanding caught the attention of President Trump, who told Fox News on Monday that Iran “should put up the white flag of surrender.” He also warned that if Oman “gets in the way” of U.S. efforts, “we’ll bomb the shit out of them.” Energy Secretary Chris Wright, speaking later the same day on Fox News’ “America Reports,” underscored that U.S. forces are currently moving far more oil through the region than Iran, framing the situation as one of effective American control. The administration’s chief priority remains preventing a nuclear-armed Iran while managing energy costs for American consumers.


READ MORE: New: Trump Confirms IRGC Backchannel, Demands Iran’s White Flag

Trump Now Mocking Iran As Powerless: ‘All Talk and No Action’


Iran may be out of options, but that doesn’t mean it can’t cause more carnage through missiles, drones, or mines. Despite the situation, there is hope for peace as diplomatic channels have not gone completely dark. Mediators including Oman, Qatar, and others remain engaged, but comprehensive high-level talks have stalled for weeks.

Advertisement

Iran may be publicly preparing for escalation, but the U.S. maintains the military and economic leverage to reject Iran’s terms, maintain the blockade, and deter their regional partners from bailing them out. If Iran continues threatening escalation, the situation could become even more dire for Tehran. President Trump has an upcoming meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, where the two allies could resume coordinated strikes against the Islamic regime. 

Editor's Note: For decades, former presidents have been all talk and no action. Now, Donald Trump is eliminating the threat from Iran once and for all. 

Help us report the truth about the Trump administration's decisive actions to keep Americans safe and bring peace to the world. Join RedState VIP and use promo code FIGHT to get 60% off your VIP membership.

Recommended

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on RedState Videos