This Week In History
- Sunday, Jan. 29: Clay introduces Compromise of 1850; Kansas statehood, 1861; Battle of Khafji, 1991
- Monday, Jan. 30: USS Terry makes first air-sea rescue, 1911; “The Great Raid” on Cabanatuan POW camp, 1945; first PC virus, 1982
- Tuesday, Jan. 31: Juneautown and Kilbourntown merge into Milwaukee, WI, 1846; Scotch Tape introduced, 1930; Apollo 14 launched, 1971
- Wednesday, Feb. 1: Edison builds first movie studio, 1893; Voice of America starts broadcasting, 1942; Columbia shuttle disaster, 2003
- Thursday, Feb. 2: First Groundhog Day, 1887; NY Grand Central Terminal opens, 1913; ABSCAM story breaks, 1980
- Friday, Feb.3: Last of Shays’ Rebellion crushed, 1787; 15th and 16th Amendments ratified, 1870 and 1913; beginning of 24/7 “Looking Glass” airborne command post ops, 1961
- Saturday, Feb. 4: Washington elected first POTUS, 1789; Mormon exodus begins, 1846; Yalta Conference, 1945; Chicago Loop Derailment disaster, 1977
Today’s Birthdays: Aviator Charles Lindbergh, 1902; astronomer Clyde Tombaugh, 1906; zombie-movie king George Romero, 1940; VP Dan Quayle, 1947; singer Clint Black, 1962
Holidays Around the World: It’s world Cancer Day. California and Missouri observe Rosa Parks Day, Angola commemorates their Day of the Armed Struggle and Sri Lanka celebrates their Independence Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for an EAA Witness Pavona .380 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Navy Arms 1892 Coyote Killer lever-action rifle, Magnum Research BFR .30-30 revolver, EAA Witness Pavona .380 or Diamondback Firearms DB9 micro-9mm pistol: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Smith & Wesson M&P9 M2.0 9mm pistol or Thompson/Center Compass .30-06 bolt-action rifle: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- *Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/fbkfd89
- *Primary Arms, for $3000 of AR15 upgrade parts: https://wn.nr/njftDY
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision and Primary Arms giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
The Watercooler has a job to do and maybe a job for YOU! It’s nothing really complicated, just about 400-600 words on whatever’s caught your attention that day; doesn’t have to be anything big, just maybe summarize and link a few things that grabbed your eye and add a dash of your own commentary. We’re pretty open about letting individual contributors develop their own individual styles; no AP or SPJ Style Manual horse-puckey here, just write whatever you have inside you bursting to get out that day. Right now The Watercooler is being mostly carried on ONE contributor’s back, and with her having to crank out four a week at the moment this cannot be maintained.
Please direct inquiries into the Comment Thread.
Quote of the Day
Regarding the Seattle BLM schmuck who openly advocated for race war recently…
Lets hope that the “spokesperson” … is of catfish stock… All mouth and full of sh*t!–Northwest Firearms forum member “AndyInEverson”
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Something on your mind? Sound Off here!