Calendar: March 24 – March 30, 2017
*all times in EST.
- Friday, 24 March
- Saturday, 25 March
- POTUS will stay in the DC swamp this weekend presumably predicting further debate over his HealthCare Bill.
- 8:30 pm – 9:30 pm – Earth Hour: Regardless of your view on climate change, Earth Hour is a cool cooperation of citizen’s from over 170 countries agreeing on one thing. How often does that happen? Once a year. It’s not even hard; turn your lights off at 8:30 pm then back on at 9:30 pm. Participating in cooperation is pretty awesome.
- Sunday, 26 March
- Hong Kong Election for Chief Executive (HK’s Highest Official)
- Monday, 27 March.
- 12:00 pm – Senate Judiciary Committee. Consider Neil Gorsuch, Associate Supreme Court Judge; Rod J. Rosenstein, of Maryland, to be Deputy Attorney General; and Rachel L. Brand, of Iowa, to be Associate Attorney General, both of the Department of Justice.
- 3:00 pm – Senate Floor. Resume consideration of the Protocol to the North Atlantic Treaty of 1949 on the Accession of Montenegro.
- 5:30 pm – Second Annual Ambassador’s Forum. “The ambassadors will discuss diplomatic challenges faced by the new administration of President Donald Trump.”
- Tuesday, 28 March
- 10:00 am – House Hearing. The Next Farm Bill: Commodity Policy Part I
- 10:00 am – House Armed Services Committee meeting. “Military Assessment of Russian Activities and Security Challenges in Europe.”
- 10:30 am – Senate Foreign Relations Committee. U.S. Policy on Iran.
- 10:45 am – CLOSED House Hearing: US Central Command. Witness Army General Joseph L. Votel. The General in charge of the Yemen raid that resulted in the death of Navy SEAL William Ryan Owens.
- 2:00 pm – House Hearing. The Next Farm Bill: The Future of SNAP Policy
- 2:15 pm – Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. To hear testimony on the Securing Energy Infrastructure Act.
- Wednesday, 29 March
- 10:15 am – Senate Foreign Relations Committee. The U.S. -Mexico Relationship: Advancing Security and Prosperity on Both Sides of the Border.
- 2:30 pm – Senate Confirmation Hearing. Deputy Secretary of Transportation, Jeffrey A. Rosen.
- UK Brexit – “British Prime Minister Theresa May will trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty on 29 March 2017, formally signaling the UK’s intention to leave the European Union. The move will fire the starting gun on two years of high-stakes divorce negotiations with the EU that could pave the way for the United Kingdom to leave the bloc in 2019.”
- Thursday, 30 March
- Time TBD – Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. To consider the Nomination of R. Alexander Acosta, of Florida, to be Secretary of Labor.
- Denmark’s Prime Minister will visit the White House. “Trump and Rasmussen are expected to discuss NATO, trade and the fight against the Islamic State during their meeting on Thursday.” – Washington Examiner.
- 10:00 am – Senate Foreign Relations Committee. The Road Ahead: U.S. Interests, Values, and the American People. Witnesses
- 10:30 am – House Armed Services Committee meeting. “Consequences and Context for Russia’s Violations of the INF Treaty.” The Hill wrote Tuesday, February 14, “Russia has deployed a cruise missile in violation of a landmark arms treaty with the United States, The New York Times reported Tuesday (14 Feb). The deployment of the missile would violate the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty.”
- 2:30 pm – Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. Hearing to examine the potential for infrastructure improvements.
Hey, RedStaters! Welcome to the Company WaterCooler. It’s RedState’s only Daily open thread. Enjoy!