#NeverTrumpNeverHillary #NotInMYNameWelcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got… well, another short one.
Quick Hits: Weird, Funny, Odd, Heartwarming and WTF?!
- Trump & Co. think Everett/Snohomish County can turn WA red. As someone who lives here and has seen Seattle’s wholesale election fraud… Don’t Bet On It, the fix is already in.
- Women fat the controls of an airliner, not particularly remarkable. When they’re on Pakistan’s flag carrier, very remarkable. When it’s a Sister Act, an aviation First.
- Barcelona Olympics canoe gold-medalist Joe Jacobi’s gold medal stolen… first-grader finds it in trash, gets a classroom visit.
- Pokemon Putzery, Domestic Edition: Don’t Pokemon and Drive, folks, like this guy who creamed a police cruiser. Since this is Nazi Jersey, it’s a wonder he wasn’t summarily executed on the spot…
- Pokemon Putzery, International Edition: French schools expelling the little critters due to unwanted visitors.
- That most quintessential Old West crime, cattle rustling, has returned… in New Zealand.
- Armed school personnel in response to mass killings? Controversial but becoming common. Dedicated school armories? In COMMIEFORNIA? Start buying Preparation H stock, folks, the Butthurt on this police chief’s policy initiative adopted by a local school board’s gonna be frickin’ OLD TESTAMENT BIBLICAL.
- Glock “Perfection” at work again… their new flagship-model duty-gun the 17M *just* launched and is already being recalled, because it seems we’re back to the Glock Early Days when they launched slides more readily than bullets. Civilized handguns like 1911s don’t do this crap… :p
This Week In History
- Sunday, Aug 28: Early steamer Tom Thumb races a horse-drawn railcar on the B&O, 1830; 2nd Bull Run, 1862; Pepsi invented, 1898; “I Have A Dream,” 1963
- Monday, Aug 29: Shays’ Rebellion, 1786; Goodyear founded, 1898; USAF Academy opens, 1958
- Tuesday, Aug 30: Ft. Mims Massacre, 1813; Houston founded, 1836; MacArthur arrives in Japan, 1945; Thurgood Marshall confirmed to SCOTUS, 1967
- Wednesday, Aug 31: Lewis & Clark kick off expedition from Pittsburgh, 1803; Detroit’s 8MK broadcasts first radio news, 1920; first of US WWII Neutrality Acts passed, 1935
- Thursday, Sep 1: San Luis Obispo founded, 1772; Hood evacuates Atlanta, 1864; Boston opens USA’s first subway, 1897; Fischer beats Spassky, 1972; SR-71 sets NY-London speed record, 1974
- Friday, Sep 2: Treasury Dept. established, 1789; Lincoln reinstates McClellan, 1862; “Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick,” 1901; Japanese sign surrender papers aboard USS Missouri, 1945
- Saturday, Sep 3: US flag first flown in battle, 1777; Treaty of Ghent ends Revolutionary War, 1783; Douglass escapes slavery, 1838; first soap opera, Search for Tomorrow, premieres, 1951
Today’s Birthdays: Actors Noble Willingham, 1931, and Richard Gere, 1949; musician Itzhak Perlman, 1945; author Jerome Corsi, 1946
Holidays around the world: Independence Day (Malaysia, Trinidad & Tobago, Kyrgyzstan); Day of Solidarity and Freedom (Poland); National Trail Mix Day (USA)
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- American Handgunner magazine*, for a Sig-Sauer SIG716 DMR G2 precision rifle package, a Heritage Rough Rider revolver or HK VP40 pistol: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- Guns Magazine*, for a Rock Island Armory .22TCM 1911 pistol package, EAA polymer 1911 .45 package or Sig-Sauer P320 pistol package (Sig drawing ends tomorrow): http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- *Note: FMG Publications drawings require an FFL gun dealer’s address at entry–the others generally only ask for your FFL if you win
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm or Pink Lady Undercover Lite .38 Special revolver: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/iygo1xb – expires at midnight Pacific tonight
Other Fun With Guns: Request for Survey Responses
Over on the Northwest Firearms forum, I’m running a survey of AR15 owners/users and their experiences with various 30-round magazines, and I thought I’d ask RedState for a second data sample. Bearing in mind this is only for 30-rounders in AR15’s specifically (not FN SCAR’s or other STANAG 4179-magazine users)… I’d appreciate y’alls thoughts on the various mags you’ve used, just a simple description of what (like “Magpul G2 Windowed”, “Hexmag”, “Brownells GI”, etc.), and either a +1 for generally positive experiences/would buy again or a -1 for generally negative/wouldn’t buy again. Of course, I’ll report back with results as they come in and I can collate them…
Quote of the Day
This week I don’t have so much a quote as an open letter from a gun owner to the non-gun crowd which I thought worth forwarding to use on the Wine Good Guns Bad crowd. Check it out here.
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Hope you found something tasty on the snack table, and there’s plenty of space to offer your own tasty morsels in the Comments.