Ilhan Omar Speaks at Last, and Her New 'Flat False' Fraud Denial Raises Major Doubts

AP Photo/Susan Walsh

Democrat Representative Ilhan Omar (MN-05) has, at least, broken her very uncharacteristic silence on the accusations that she is involved in the various Minneapolis-area fraud scandals. This is rather remarkable, as Rep. Omar generally has no problem with being vocal on any issue other than this.

Advertisement

Needless to say, she denied any connection to the fraud schemes and tried to deflect the blame onto... Wait for it... President Trump.

 Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., is speaking out over mounting questions from critics about her possible connection to the massive Feeding Our Future fraud scandal in Minnesota and suggested the Trump administration bears responsibility. 

"Any claim that I had knowledge of this scheme is flat-out false," the Minnesota congresswoman said in a written statement to Fox News Digital on Wednesday. 

"The MEALS Act was signed into law by President Trump and passed with bipartisan support as part of a broader legislative package. Trump’s USDA Secretary set the regulatory framework during the rollout of the program. I have always championed feeding kids and will continue to ensure our children do not go hungry."

That's something of a pro forma denial. What's really entertaining here is the attempt to pass this off on President Trump, while not mentioning that the particular fraud that she's accused of knowing about was in her House district, and that millions of non-existent kids were "fed," with that money going to, shall we say, other purposes, purposes that didn't include feeding kids. Minneapolis has, for several years now, been a veritable Fraud-a-Palooza, and guess which political party is doing its best to block investigations?

Advertisement

The Minnesota House Fraud Prevention and State Agency Oversight Committee invited Omar to testify about what she knew but says she never responded, which prompted an effort to subpoena information from her. That effort was blocked by Democrats on the committee.

Just last week, the committee released its final report that accused Gov. Tim Walz’s administration of fostering a "culture of tolerance" that allowed fraudsters to steal billions in taxpayer dollars overall.

The report offered a strong critique of Omar, asserting that her MEALS Act, implemented into the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, "took the guardrails off" federal nutrition programs by allowing for-profit restaurants to participate and permitting "grab-and-go" flexibilities that made it nearly impossible to verify if children were actually being fed by the Feeding Our Future program.

You don't say.


Read More: Funny How Quiet Ilhan Omar Gets When the Fraud Questions Start

What’s Next for Ilhan Omar After MN Democrats Shield Her from Fraud Probe—Federal Subpoena Looming?


Rep. Omar's uncharacteristic silence on this issue was bound to end, sooner or later, and she seems pretty determined that it won't end with her answering questions in front of the Minnesota House Fraud Prevention and State Agency Oversight Committee, or any Congressional committee in Washington, for that matter. But her sudden statement now, following on her unusual reluctance to say anything, might just be a sign that she's starting to sweat this a little bit, and the attempt to deflect the blame to President Trump, that's not the tactic of someone confident in their answer. It's like a little kid in trouble, who points at another kid nearby and complains, "But it was his idea!"

Advertisement

Smoke. Fire. It's all going to come out, sooner or later.

Editor’s Note: Help us continue to report the truth about corrupt politicians. 

Join RedState VIP and use promo code FIGHT to receive 60% off your membership.

Recommended

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on RedState Videos