With things in New York reaching a fever pitch surrounding Governor Andrew Cuomo and his sexual harassment allegations plus his handling of COVID patients, it looks like questions are spreading to other Governors handling the pandemic. Here in Michigan, Governor Gretchen Whitmer copied most of the same COVID protocols from New York and a county prosecutor is moving forward on how his office plans to investigate any crimes.
As I wrote here the other day, newly elected Macomb County Prosecutor Pete Lucido said in an interview earlier this week that charges “could” be filed against the Governor for her executive actions in how patients were handled with COVID-19 in nursing homes. County Prosecutor Says Gov. Whitmer Could Be Charged in COVID-19 Nursing Home Deaths. After announcing that, Lucido received a backlash of criticism including from the Governor’s office who released this statement.
“Our top priority from the start has been protecting Michiganders, especially seniors and our most vulnerable. The administration’s policies carefully tracked CDC guidance on nursing homes, and we prioritized testing of nursing home residents and staff to save lives. Early in the pandemic, the state acted swiftly to create a network of regional hubs with isolation units and adequate PPE to prevent the spread of COVID-19 within a facility. In addition, we have offered 100 percent of nursing home residents priority access to the vaccine. Both the former head of AARP, as well as an independent U-M study, praised our work to save lives in nursing homes.
“Even his (Lucido’s) former colleague, Republican Sen. Ed McBroom, has said they ‘have not seen any evidence or testimony that says that a nursing home was forced to take someone against their will.’ And there’s a reason why Mr. Lucido’s colleagues have publicly rebuked this politically-motivated waste of taxpayer dollars. Michiganders are tired of these petty partisan games, and we won’t be distracted by them either.”
Lucido has obviously not been deterred. His office announced yesterday that they will be holding a press conference today at noon. The official statement from Macomb County Prosecutors Office
A press conference announcing a county-wide law enforcement protocol as to how a complaint shall be submitted regarding COVID-19 relegated involuntary transfers to nursing homes, etc, by Executive Orders.
Thursday, March 11th, 2021 12:00 p.m.
County Administration Building-Lobby
One South Main
Mt Clemens, 48043
According to The Macomb Daily, at least one complaint has already been filed with the Shelby Township Police.
It would appear at least one community’s police force has already received a complaint.
In Shelby Township, Lucido’s home community and a heavy Republican stronghold, Deputy Police Chief Mark Coil posted confirmed on the Crimewatch app that the department has taken a complaint.
“I can confirm that today our department did take a complaint about this issue. The initial report has been made and will be turned over to our detective bureau. Members of this unit will work with the prosecutor’s office to determine the appropriate steps to take,” Coil wrote.
No word yet if any of the other 82 county prosecutors in Michigan are willing to follow suit of Mr. Lucido in Macomb to set up a framework of how any complaints would be handled for the deaths of loved ones in their communities.
If there is a live feed of this press conference I will update this post to include the link when it becomes available.