County Prosecutor Says Gov. Whitmer Could Be Charged in COVID-19 Nursing Home Deaths

AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File

I would imagine it is a pretty safe bet that most people in the country have heard of the troubles of that guy who happens to be Governor in the State of New York, Andrew Cuomo. Son of Mario and big brother of Fredo is currently tangled up in a mess of sexual harassment that has Republicans and Democrats all up in arms. Yet, before all of the news of his creepy behavior with the ladies came out, he was accused of something just as serious with the mishandling of nursing home patients and COVID-19.

If you recall, the Guv from N.Y. was being lauded as the one to follow during COVID-19 in 2020 and other Governors did, including the Governor of the state of Michigan, Gretchen Whitmer. Michigan mirrored the actions of New York which includes not releasing the data on COVID-19 deaths, just as New York has neglected to do. Because of this, a lawsuit has been filed in the Great Lakes State to comply with a Freedom of Information Act request which was covered right HERE.

Now, more heat is being applied with the announcement yesterday that a local county prosecutor has declared that he would charge Governor Whitmer for the deaths of those in his county. According to Fox News

A county prosecutor in Michigan told a local news station Monday that Gov. Gretchen Whitmer could possibly face charges for her early handling of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities during the coronavirus pandemic.

Peter Lucido, the Macomb County prosecutor, told WXYZ.com that he is limited in his own investigation into nursing home deaths, but if it is revealed that there was “willful neglect of office” or “reckless endangerment of a person’s life,” there could be criminal charges.

Lucido, a former Republican state senator, appealed to those in the state who may have lost loved ones to the virus who were in nursing homes to seek out information about the deaths. He said HIPPAA laws prevent his office from obtaining some patient information.

Whitmer’s office did not immediately respond to an after-hours email from Fox News.

Her office did release a statement to WXYZ Channel 7 that accused Lucido of “shameful political attacks based in neither fact or reality.”

Lucido made news last year while running for Macomb County Prosecutor that he would do this very thing if he found wrongdoing. As a State Senator during the beginning of the COVID crisis last year, he and his fellow legislators were frustrated by the Governors’ lack of transparency in her decision-making process on COVID-related matters. This relationship between the Governor and the legislative branch has not improved and now with a former State Senator in a County Prosecutor position who could actually pursue an investigation, this changes the dynamic a bit.

Most of the Republicans in this state have done a fine job of issuing press releases and acting outraged. Lucido is now in a position to actually do something about it if he has complaints filed with his office. The newly elected Prosecutor has called on anyone who feels their loved one was a victim in this regard, to file a police report which then, in theory, would be investigated and turned over to his office.

With the threat of prosecution now being wielded over Whitmer’s administration, along with the lawsuit to release the data and the investigation into the hush-money paid to her former director of Health and Human Services, it looks like a rough year for the Guv.

Actually, looks like a rough year for both Cuomo and Whitmer if things continue to track this way. Now that the media smells blood in the water, my guess is that with Trump gone, there’s a need to focus on other things — and this just might fit the bill.