BREAKING: Officer Involved in Shooting of Keith Lamont Scott Will NOT Be Charged

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police chief Police Chief Kerr Putney, right, gestures as he answers a question as Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts, left, watches during a news conference after a second night of violence following Tuesday's fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte, N.C. Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

This is just coming out from multiple news outlets. The Charlotte police officer who shot and killed Keith Lamont Scott in September will not face charges. According to Mecklenburg County, North Carolina officials, the investigation into the shooting has revealed that Officer Brentley Vinson acted lawfully in the shooting.

According to CNN, Scott’s DNA was found on the grip of the gun at the scene. This led district attorney officials to recommend against filing charged. Surveillance video also showed a “bulge,” according to news outlets, consistent with Scott having a gun on him.

Here’s more from the Charlotte Observer regarding the decision made by District Attorney Andrew Murray:

Murray said that evidence in the case shows that Scott stepped out of his SUV with a gun in his hand and ignored at least 10 commands from the five officers on the scene to drop it.

Murray said that Scott obtained the gun – which had been stolen in Gaston County – 18 days before the confrontation. One bullet was found in the chamber of the gun, the safety was off and Murray said Scott’s DNA was found on the grip and ammunition slide.

Murray said that speculation in the community that Scott was unarmed – initial reports from a family member on Facebook said he was holding a book – were untrue.

“A reading book was not found in the front or back seats of Mr. Scott’s SUV,” Murray said.

Officers in the Charlotte area have been put on high alert as officials expect backlash from the decision. Law enforcement officials have been told that they can expect 12-hour shifts if protests/riots do break out in the city. Charlotte is only recently removed from protests that took place there in October over the death. Protesters were gathering again in the city days ahead of the District Attorney’s decision.