2 holidays could provide Trump turbulence
Two big days are coming up and you need to be ready for the possibility of trash-talking or worse around the picnic tables. I’m talking Father’s Day and Fourth of July. If you haven’t visited with “the family” since Christmas, both events may mean get togethers with others who share your DNA but maybe you haven’t seen since the presumptive Republican (?) nominee came into his glory. These events could get nasty. Especially if you instigate the whole mess.
* Make sure you’re wearing a #NeverTrump t-shirt before you head out and give Dad one for his big day. Have talking points handy in case your forced into conversation with a Trump groupie. Or go to this special Amazon page and pick up a Trump piñata. Fill with candy and let the #NeverTrumpers whack him with a stick.*
Turns out, they’re all the rage in Albuquerque, and not just with Latinos.
Money and messaging will make us safe. Or something.
This from the Free Beacon reinforces what we have seen many times before. Change the messaging and throw some money at a problem and the problem will go away. The problem is homegrown terrorism and Department of Homeland security has come up with an answer.
“The department must reframe the conversation to reflect this reality and design a robust program around the protection of our youth, which must include predator awareness and an understanding of radicalization. In doing so, our citizens will be better equipped for this threat.”
DHS is looking to pour $100 million into new funding for the project which includes hiring more people and putting out social media programs. For messaging there’s this:
“Government agencies should employ “American English instead of religious, legal and cultural terms like ‘jihad,’ ‘sharia,’ ‘takfir’ or ‘umma,’” states the June 2016 report by the Council’s countering violent extremism subcommittee.”
Using English. Hmmm. It wouldn’t be the first time people have suggested English be used in this country. But wait, this is my favorite. Look closely:
“The DHS report stated that to avoid a confrontational “us versus them” stance in public efforts to counter Islamic radicalization, government programs should use the term “American Muslim” instead of “Muslim American.”
Anyone else see potential problems with that messaging effort? And this will really leave the media in a quandary as to what words should and shouldn’t be used.
- The Brexit is the second coming of Y2K. Or not. remember Y2K wasn’t All That when it actually occurred.
- This Lifelock commercial notes the “security monitor” is only there to tell you the bank is being robbed, not stop the robbery. We know the FBI “monitored” Omar Mateen but lacked the right evidence to stop the Florida massacre, preferably before it began. How can we fix this?
- Not sure what exactly this high tech program is suppose to do. Sounds complicated. But if they can make an invisible violin play music , how long before we get our air guitars to actually create sound?
- Sad news in the world of Fantasy Football. The NFL says it will not allow the national Fantasy Football convention to take place. Tony Romo is not a happy camper.
Bring what you got to the Water Cooler. Your news and comments are what the cooler is designed for. It’s an Open Thread for you to talk about whatever’s on your mind.
*all emphasis mine.