As has been mentioned several times on the front page this morning, the UN General Assembly voted overwhelmingly for a meaningless resolution condemning the US for recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The vote was both remarkable and unremarkable. The unremarkable part was that a two-fer vote that allowed Third World kleptocracies and their EU enablers to bash Israel and the United States was a sure winner.
OMG I can't believe the United Nations, that hive of scum and villainy, is condemning the US over recognizing Israeli sovereignty over Jerusalem. It's not like they're rabid anti-Semites or anything. (Stats below courtesy of https://t.co/bQQDd2bcVo) pic.twitter.com/EagaKWrjh7
— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) December 21, 2017
The remarkable part was being lectured by Syria and Venezuela on integrity and human rights and watching Russia, which has already declared Jerusalem to the capital of Israel, vote to condemn us for the same thing.
The most remarkable thing about the vote was that the Palestinians were disappointed.
Thursday’s vote, while a victory for the Palestinians, was significantly lower than its supporters had hoped for, with many forecasting at least 150 “yes” votes.
While the official total is 128-9, it is not trivial that 35 nations abstained from the vote and another 21 did now show up to vote.
The vote is in– 65 countries refused to condemn the United States and 128 voted against us. Final vote tally to follow.
— Archive: Ambassador Nikki Haley (@AmbNikkiHaley) December 21, 2017
This shows a significant weakness on the part of the Palestinian cause and one has to guess the ferocious opposition to the resolution by President Trump, and spearheaded in the UN by Ambassador Haley, is the reason the Palestinian whip count was off by 20%.
President Trump discusses United Nations: "We're watching those votes. Let them vote against us. We'll save a lot. We don't care." pic.twitter.com/FltX005RqP
— NBC News (@NBCNews) December 21, 2017
Instant replay of Nikki Haley at the UN just now: pic.twitter.com/ToMx0iXyhT
— Peter J. Hasson (@peterjhasson) December 21, 2017
.@nikkihaley: "The United States is by far the single largest contributor to the @UN… We'll be honest with you: when we make generous contributions to the UN, we also have a legitimate expectation that our goodwill is recognize and respected." https://t.co/65rifQ87Pf pic.twitter.com/oGEzlo4DAN
— Fox News Politics (@foxnewspolitics) December 21, 2017
.@nikkihaley remarks before the UN vote on #Jerusalem. "When we make generous contributions to the UN, we also have a legitimate expectation that our good will is recognized and respected…We have an obligation to demand more for our investment" https://t.co/QGZlO4xxhF pic.twitter.com/omhIREzHSe
— Nick Short (@PoliticalShort) December 21, 2017
The next part of the equation is holding Trump accountable for his threat to cut assistance to nations that voted against us. He was right to make the threat but unless he acts on it, it will have done more harm than good. The US is by far and away the largest contributor to the UN.
Who contributes the most to the regular UN budget?
The top 20 countries contribute 83.78% out of 193 while the other 173 contribute 16.22% only.The top 10 contributors account for 68.89% of the total contributions.The total regular UN budget for the year 2016-17 is $ 5.6 billion. pic.twitter.com/rCYQx4mz6T
— Prof.Dr.Emine Nur ÖZKAN GÜNAY🇹🇷🟢 (@EmineNurGunay) December 21, 2017
Given its tendency to be forum for anti-Semitism & anti-Americanism, reevaluation of US role as single largest donor to #UN is long overdue.
— Marco Rubio (@marcorubio) December 21, 2017
We need to make it clear that we are not a pinata that these piss-ant countries can whack with a stick and get gifts in return. If Trump is true to his word, and his instincts, this will turn out to be a very costly stunt for the Palestinian terrorists and their enablers.