If you see something, say something, but don’t expect anyone to do anything. As if the news that accused Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz had been expelled from school for being violent and had the police at his home 39 times since 2010 wasn’t infuriating enough, now today we are learning that the FBI received a specific report about his disturbing behavior, and they failed to follow their own protocols in responding to the complaint.
As noted in my earlier post, Cruz had made numerous online posts about school shootings or murder, making comments like, “I wanna shoot people with my AR-15” and “Im going to be a professional school shooter,” the later of which was under his uniquely spelled name and was confirmed as reported to the FBI.
Politico reported that the FBI received a call on January 5 that Cruz had the potential of “conducting a school shooting,” including “information about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts.”
Today the FBI conceded that certain “protocols were not followed” regarding this tip about Cruz.
FBI Director Christopher Wray released a statement, saying that they were “still investigating the facts.”
“I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public,” said Wray.
From NBC News, here is the full statement from the FBI:
BREAKING: FBI says Jan. 5 tip about the suspected Florida school shooter was received by FBI's Public Access Line but "protocols were not followed" to escalate the tip for further investigation – https://t.co/kdrUxk2XiK pic.twitter.com/iBnPWKHQGA
— NBC News (@NBCNews) February 16, 2018
Follow Sarah Rumpf on Twitter: @rumpfshaker.
Join the conversation as a VIP Member