Pres. Donald Trump’s longtime personal assistant, John McEntee, who had been with him since the beginning of his campaign was summarily fired on Monday and escorted off White House property.
Mr. McEntee was one of the longest-serving aides to Mr. Trump, dating back to the earliest days of the campaign when some of the only aides around the then-candidate included Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser; Stephen Miller, the president’s policy director; White House communications director Hope Hicks, who announced her resignation two weeks ago; and Dan Scavino, who is the White House director of social media.
According to White House officials, McEntee wasn’t even allowed to stop at his desk before being taken out. He didn’t even have his jacket with him.
The official reason remains unclear as Press Secretary Sarah Sanders when asked about the event said, “We don’t comment on personnel issues.” However, McEntee reportedly told colleagues it had to do with a security issue in his background.
While McEntee is out of a job now, the White House put out a statement on Tuesday saying he would be joining the 2020 re-election campaign.
McEntee is the latest casualty since Chief of Staff John Kelly moved into his position and found many serving in Trump’s White House were still working with only interim security clearances. Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and staff secretary Rob Porter are among those who weren’t granted security clearances and have since been removed from their positions.