Two New Studies Drain the Juice out of Biden's Electric Vehicle Schtick

AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli

It’s all about the environment, America. In the eyes of the “climate change” obsessed, Green New Deal left, that is. Hence, Joe Biden and Democrats continue to lecture everyday Americans about the nirvana of electric vehicles (EV) — Americans who remain outraged over Biden’s skyrocketing gas prices.


Now, two new studies suggest that Biden and the Democrats are full of either don’t know what they’re talking about, lying, or both. Yeah, I know; both possibilities would be “shocking.” [eye-roll emoji]

Based on separate studies published by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) and J.D. Power, electric vehicles are worse for the environment than gas-powered vehicles, and battery-electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrid vehicles have more quality issues than gas-powered vehicles.

First, the Democrat schtick that EVs are better for the environment, via the NBER.

By quantifying the externalities (both greenhouse gases and local air pollution) generated by driving these vehicles, the government subsidies on the purchase of EVs, and taxes on electric and/or gasoline miles, researchers found that “electric vehicles generate a negative environmental benefit of about -0.5 cents per mile relative to comparable gasoline vehicles (-1.5 cents per mile for vehicles driven outside metropolitan areas).

Researchers specifically pointed out that despite being treated by regulators as “zero-emission vehicles,” electric cars are not emissions-free. Charging an EV increases electricity demand. Renewal resources supply only 20 percent of the country’s electricity needs. The remaining 80 percent were generated by fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas, despite billions of dollars in green subsidies.


The American Economic Review summed it up nicely:

The comparison between a gasoline vehicle and an electric one is really a comparison between burning gasoline or a mix of coal and natural gas to move the vehicle.

Joe? Coal, Joe. You know how much you hate coal, man. And what about EV batteries? Via Bloomberg:

The link is graphite, a vital component in batteries used in Tesla’s Model S, Toyota’s plug-in Prius, and other electric cars, as well as in electronic gadgets including iPhones.

It’s mostly mined and processed in China where graphite pollution has fouled air and water, damaged crops, and raised health concerns.

Now, in response, Chinese authorities are closing dozens of graphite mines and processors in a bid for cleaner air even as global demand for the commodity is surging.

This is not looking good at all, Joe. And have you considered the reliability of EVs — which cost considerably more than gas-powered vehicles — in comparison to gas-powered cars?.

J.D. Power has — as noted by the Federalist:

Owners of electric or hybrid vehicles cite more problems than do owners of gas-powered vehicles. The latter vehicles average 175 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100), hybrids average 239 PP100, and battery-powered cars — excluding Tesla models — average 240 PP100. Tesla models average 226 PP100. Given the average cost of an electric car is roughly $60,000, about $20,000 more than the cost of a gas-powered car, it seems owners of EVs didn’t get the value they deserve.


“Owners of EVs didn’t get the value they deserve.” So, what?

Come on, people, this isn’t about you and your wallet. (See “Biden gas prices.”) Don’t be selfish. This is about “climate change,” the “existential threat to mankind.” It can only be “averted” by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ridiculous Green New Deal. Electric vehicles are a necessary part of that “deal.” So, deal.

Sacrifice. Even more so than you already are [sarcasm], you selfish capitalists.

Related on RedState:

WH Gets Nailed Big Time for Biden’s Hypocrisy on Electric Vehicles

AOC Demonstrates a Callous Misunderstanding of Her Green New Deal in Tweets About Texas

Another Day, Another Clean-up on Aisle 46: Biden Drops a Whopper on Renewable Energy


Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on RedState Videos