Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got…
- Well, this is just crappy… who’d steal an inflatable colon?
- Brace for a big stink of dead-body smell if you live near Dartmouth… Morphy the Corpse Flower’s teeing up to bloom.
- If your neighbors annoy you with dogcrap and other junk in your yard… be grateful you aren’t THESE folks.
- MacGyver conductor rescues dog on railroad tracks… with his TIE.
- Courthouse escape thwarted… by a fast-moving judge?
- Man breaks hip going out to buy Mega Millions ticket… gets invited to join hospital lottery pool which scores million-dollar win.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 10/28: Battle of Hatcher’s Run, 1864; Glidden patents barbed wire, 1873; Cuban Missile Crisis ends, 1962
- Monday, 10/29: First store opens in Denver, 1858; Battle of Wauhatchie ends, 1863; “Black Tuesday” final market crash to open Depression, 1929
- Tuesday, 10/30: Continental Congress establishes naval committee, 1775; Helena, MT, founded after gold strike, 1864; “War of the Worlds” panic, 1938
- Wednesday, 10/31: Nevada statehood, 1864; Adventures of Sherlock Holmes published, 1892; Toyota enters US auto market, 1957
- Thursday, 11/1: Lincoln appoints McClellan to command, 1861; Weather Bureau issues first forecast, 1870; Battle of Empress Augusta Bay, 1943
- Friday, 11/2: Gov. Winslow takes Plymouth militia to war, 1675; Dakotas gain statehood, 1889; first US commercial radio broadcast, 1920; Spruce Goose flies, 1947
- Saturday, 11/3: Continental Army disbanded, 1783; Black Bart’s last stagecoach robbery, 1883; Chevrolet enters auto market, 1911; Nixon’s “Silent Majority,” 1969
Today’s Birthdays: Girl Scouts founder Juliette Gordon Low and Prohibitionist Andrew Volstead, 1860; military historian B. H. Liddell Hart, 1895; entertainer Dale Evans, 1912
Holidays Around the World: Slovenia, Chile and many Lutheran/Reformed Protestant Churches observe Reformation Day; Peru celebrates Dio de la Cancion Criolla and India has National Unity Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Kahr ST9 pistol or SCCY CPX-3 pistol package (CPX-3 ends next Wednesday!): http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a SIG M400 Tread rifle, CZ CZ82 pistol, 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle or North American Arms NAA-22 .22LR derringer (derringer ends TODAY!): http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Howa M1500 APC American Flag or M1500 HS Precision 6.5 Creedmoor bolt-action rifle (both end TODAY!): https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15 (ends TODAY!): http://gvwy.io/7jtoyng
- GrabAGun, for a Panzer Arms BP-12 detachable-magazine bullpup 12ga. shotgun (ends TODAY!): http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
RedState Slack – Realtime Chat and Private Messaging for the VRWC
Several of us commenters put heads together to address some longstanding desires for features the Disqus platform lacks like private user-to-user messaging, and we’ve started up a Slack server for private messaging and chat. If you’d like to join the fun Slacking Off after hours, your invitation to the party is here.
RedState Slack is not officially endorsed or authorized by the staff, advertisers, management or ownership of RedState, Townhall Media or Salem Communications. It is intended to complement the RedState Disqus comment platform, not compete with it. While we have made every reasonable effort to provide a secure platform, user assumes all risks.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
Quote of the Day
Couldn’t decide which was more apt between these, so it’s a Two-Fer.
In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these.–Paul Harvey
Be bold and mighty powers will come to your aid.–Basil King
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.”
Copyright Diamondback, 2018; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY. Opinions expressed in the preceding piece are solely those of the author and in no way reflect on those of the staff, advertisers, management or owners of RedState, Townhall Media or Salem Communications.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit)
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)