Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got an unfortunate development: Drill of the Month is on hiatus until I find more material.
- Unexpected guest: Black bear checks into hotel that inspired The Shining.
- Buggin’ Out: Bees swarm Times Square hot-dog cart, while European hornets infest an El Camino in Ohio.
- Wisconsin SUV owner has car trouble, finds out he has a new and literal serpentine belt: a four-foot Ball python.
- Dumb Crooks: NM pair rips off trash cans, while California man nicks 800 lbs. of LEMONS. Come on, guys, if you’re gonna get a criminal record at least make it worthwhile…
- Stampede! Six dozen head of bison escape from Northern Indiana farm.
- Department of Eyeball-Rolling Name Changes: Remember IHOP rebranding to IHOB? Well, seems that Mayo, Florida wants to upstage them… by changing their name to Miracle Whip.
Weird News is compiled with assistance from Northwest news-aggregator site Orbusmax.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 8/26: Washington urges Hessians to desert British Army, 1776; 2nd Bull Run campaign begins, 1862; first televised MLB baseball game, 1939
- Monday, 8/27: Attack on Cape Hatteras, 1861; Krakatoa kB!, 1883; Red Scare dominates politics, 1952
- Tuesday, 8/28: “I Have A Dream” speech, 1963; Chicago DNC riots, 1968; first USAF ace since Korea, 1972
- Wednesday, 8/29: First Indian reservation established, 1758; Ishi, last Stone Age Indian, found in California, 1911; Air Force Academy opens, 1958
- Thursday, 8/30: Herod’s Temple destroyed, AD 70; Battle of Richmond, 1862; MacArthur lands in Japan, 1945
- Friday, 8/31: Livingston begins term as first Governor of NJ, 1776; Sherman begins offensive against Atlanta, 1864; Edison patents first movie projector, 1897
- Saturday, 9/1: San Luis Obispo, CA, founded, 1772; Narcissa Whitman reaches Walla Walla, 1836; SR-71 Blackbird sets New York-London speed record, 1974; KAL 007 shootdown, 1983 (NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET!)
Today’s Birthdays: Philosopher John Locke, 1632; electric car-starter inventor Charles Kettering, 1876; TV host Robin Leach, 1941
Holidays Around the World: Ukraine celebrates Miners’ Day and Poland has Municipal Police Day. India has Telugu Language Day, and Slovakia celebrates the anniversary of their uprising against the Nazis.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS pistol with red-dot sight or SCCY CPX-3 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a North American Arms NAA-22 .22LR derringer, Savage MSR 15 Valkyrie rifle or Kahr .22LR Snapshot rifle package (Snapshot ENDS FRIDAY!): http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard 6.5×300 bolt-action rifle or Orion Over & Under 12ga. break-open shotgun (both END FRIDAY!): https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15 (ENDS FRIDAY!): http://gvwy.io/v0sxsis
- GrabAGun, for a Kimber K6s stainless .357 Magnum revolver (ENDS FRIDAY!): http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision and Primary Arms giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
Fire Mission Request
If you know anyone in Washington, we Evergreen State gun owners implore you to urge them to vote NO on the insidious gun-grab that is Bloomberg and assoted local billionaires’ Initiative 1639. Please check out the facts at https://www.initiative1639.org/, and ask them to take a good look at that site and see for themselves just how bad this heap of crap that among other things demands gun owners give up our HIPPA privacy rights really is. This is an All Hands On Deck situation, we need all the help we can get!
Quote of the Day
One which aptly describes our enemies, which we too must adopt:
Victory belongs to the most persevering.–Napoleon
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.”
Copyright Diamondback, 2018; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY. Opinions expressed in the preceding piece are solely those of the author and in no way reflect on those of the staff, advertisers, management or owners of RedState, Townhall Media or Salem Communications.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit)
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)