Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got…
Public Service Announcement: The Four Rules of Firearms Safety
In light of the Denver Disco Doofus’s negligent discharge injuring a hapless bystander, I thought a refresher on the Four Rules developed by “Gunner’s Guru” Jeff Cooper might be beneficial, including the Colonel’s elaborating thoughts from Cooper’s Commentaries, volume 6 number 2.
- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED – The only exception to this occurs when one has a weapon in his hands and he has personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as he puts it down, Rule 1 applies again.
- NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY – You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.
- KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET – This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.
- BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET – You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 6/3: Adams settles into DC, 1800; Zoot Suit Riots, 1943; Ed White performs first American spacewalk, 1965
- Monday, 6/4: Washington builds Ft. Necessity, 1754; Ford tests his first auto, 1896; Battle of Midway, 1942
- Tuesday, 6/5: Uncle Tom’s Cabin begins serial run in newspapers, 1851; Confederate rout in Battle of Piedmont, 1864; Gold Standard abolished, 1933
- Wednesday, 6/6: Union forces take Memphis, 1862; D-Day, 1944; Orwell publishes Nineteen Eighty-four, 1949
- Thursday, 6/7: Lee Resolution starts road to independence, 1776; US-UK agreement to end African slave-trade, 1862; Elvis’s Graceland opened to public, 1982
- Friday, 6/8: Madison proposes twelve Constitutional amendments, 1789; Tennessee secedes, 1861; Navy-USPS “Missile Mail” test, 1959
- Saturday, 6/9: Georgia Colony chartered, 1732; Battle of Port Republic ends Shenandoah Campaign, 1862; USS George Washington launch debuts nuclear-powered ballistic missile subs, 1959
Today’s Birthdays: Surveyor-outfitter David T. Abercrombie, 1867; astronaut Dave Scott, 1932; actor Robert Englund, 1947; politician Eric Cantor, 1963.
Holidays Around the World: It’s National Huntington’s Disease Awareness Day. Sweden celebrates their National Day, South Korea observes Memorial Day, Bolivia has Teachers’ Day and Taiwan has Engineer’s Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for an Olympic Arms KRP Retro AR15 pistol or S&W Hi-Viz .500 Magnum revolver package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for for a Mossberg 590M Heat Shield shotgun or Aero Precision M4E1 rifle: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Springfield 911 .380 pistol or SAINT Edge AR-pattern rifle: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/l8rwr6b
- GrabAGun, for a Kel-Tec KSG 12-gauge bullpup shotgun: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
- Springfield Armory, for $2500 worth of XD pistols and related gear: http://www.springfield-armory.com/resources/giveaways/
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
Quote of the Day
He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave.–Sir William Drummond
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.” When you’re having your after-work cold ones today, hoist one for the boys who kicked off the end of the Third Reich today in ’44, especially the ones who didn’t get to come home.
Copyright Diamondback, 2018; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit)
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)