Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got a little less than hoped for… I was hoping to do a Gear Review on a new optic I ordered, but it’s still on the Big Brown Truck.
- Dumb Crook Edition: If you’re gonna stalk your ex, make sure your hiding place can support your weight first, unlike this guy. Better yet, don’t stalk if you value your life.
- Special Delivery: Kentucky pizza deliveryman en route to drop off a pizza sees house on fire, stops to rescue occupants. VERY Special Delivery, indeed.
- We know dogs in police service are designated K-9… but what do you call a feline office, like Detroit suburb Troy’s new police cats?
- Speaking of Detroit… Detroit Zoo takes Flinging Poo to a whole new level.
- Seems Broward County isn’t the only Florida school system with problems… because Brevard’s superintendent seems to have a problem with stopping for his own school buses.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 4/8: Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s homer record, 1974
- Monday, 4/9: Lee surrenders, 1865; Bataan falls, 1942; Mercury Seven astronauts announced, 1959
- Tuesday, 4/10: Jones sets sail on first raiding voyage, 1778; loss of USS Thresher, 1963; Charlie Chaplin finally gets Oscar, 1972
- Wednesday, 4/11: Fort Pulaski falls, 1862; MacArthur sacked, 1951; Apollo 13 launched, 1970
- Thursday, 4/12: NC votes for independence, 1776; Fort Sumter receives first shots of Civil War, 1861; Gagarin inaugurates Space Age, 1961
- Friday, 4/13: Battle of Bound Brook (NJ), 1777; Union occupies Raleigh, 1865; J. C. Penney opens first store, 1902; Apollo 13 oxygen-tank explodes, 1970
- Saturday, 4/14: Franklin & Rush found first abolitionist society, 1775; Webster copyrights dictionary, 1828; Lincoln shot, 1865; Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath published, 1939
Today’s Birthdays: Statesman Dean Acheson, 1893; author Thomas Harris, 1940; actress Jennifer Esposito, 1973
Holidays Around the World: Costa Rica observes Juan Santamaria Day. It’s also World Parkinson’s Day and International “Louie Louie” Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Springfield SAINT AR15 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for an Aero Precision M4E1 rifle, Midland Arms 4-shotgun family-pack, or KRISS .22LR AR-pattern rifle: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a .22LR Ruger Precision Rifle or 9mm Ruger PC Carbine Takedown: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- *Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/mvr6mia
- GrabAGun, for a Ruger AR-556 5.56mm AR15: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
- Springfield Armory, for an M1A rifle or a package of an M1A SOCOM plus 9mm and .45 XD pistols: http://www.springfield-armory.com/resources/giveaways/
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
Quote of the Day
“History does not long entrust the care of Freedom to the weak or the timid.”–Dwight D. Eisenhower
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.” That’s it for this week, other than to note that if you need Movie Night ideas Ron Howard’s Apollo 13 would be an exceptionally apt choice. 🙂
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.”–Voltaire
Copyright Diamondback, 2017; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit). Also, when you sign up for their Bullet Rewards program, you get 150 Rewards Points.
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)