This Week In History
- Sunday, 1/1: Ellis Island opens, 1892; Alcatraz opens, 1934; AT&T breakup gives birth to “Baby Bells,” 1984
- Monday, 1/2: Georgia ratifies Constitution, 1788; FBI busts Duquesne Spy Ring, 1942; end of “detente,” 1980
- Tuesday, 1/3: Pappy Boyington taken POW, 1944; Frances & Oliver Bolton first concurrent Congressional mother/son duo, 1953; last Peanuts comic, 2000
- Wednesday, 1/4: Colt sells first revolver to government, 1847; NYSE opens first permanent HQ near Wall Street, 1865; USN F-14s smoke Libyan MiG-23s in 2nd Gulf of Sidra, 1989
- Thursday, 1/5: Benedict Arnold burns Richmond, 1781; Ford introduces 8-hour workday, 1914; Eisenhower Doctrine established, 1957
- Friday, 1/6: Wasington Nat’l. Cathedral chartered, 1893; Edison signs last patent, 1931; Pan Am offers first round-the-world air ticket, 1947
- Saturday, 1/7: Bank of North America, first US commercial bank, opens, 1782; Siege of Bataan begins, 1942; Carter authorizes Chrysler bailout, 1980
Today’s Birthdays: Circus performer Tom Thumb, 1838; planebuilder Leroy Grumman, 1895; historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, 1943
Holidays Around the World: It’s Dimpled Chad Day, one of Thomas Roy’s 80 wacky “special days” in Chase’s Calendar of Events. It’s also World Braille Day and Myanmar’s Independence Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Rock Island .22TCM/9mm 1911 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Magnum Research BFR .30-30 Winchester revolver, EAA Tanfoglio Pavona .380 pistol, Diamondback Firearms DB9 micro 9mm pistol, or Mossberg Patriot rifle: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for one of two SCCY CPX-1 9mm subcompact pistols: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- GrabAGun, for an ATI Omni Maxx Hybrid lightweight AR15: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry.
Quote of the Day
Of interest for how aptly it describes Team Blue and their legion of apparatchiks:
“Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before… He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.”–Kurt Vonnegut
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Now that you’ve sampled this week’s (very) modest offering, you’re invited to add your own contribution to All the Snooze Unfit for Print.