Lawyer for E. Jean Carroll Hints She May Sue Trump Again Over CNN Remarks

AP Photo/Evan Vucci

Just when you think the roller coaster has stopped moving, it ratchets back up in speed to take the next loop. At least that’s how the legal wranglings between writer E. Jean Carroll and former President Donald Trump feel at the moment. As we previously reported, a federal jury awarded Carroll over $5 million, finding Trump “liable of battery and defamation.”

Advertisement

Trump took the opportunity to address several issues on Wednesday evening at the town hall event CNN held in New Hampshire. And one of those issues he expounded on was both the alleged incident with Carroll at a New York City department store…and Carroll herself, as my colleague Susie Moore wrote. He denied that Carroll’s claims were real, repeating previous statements he’s made that he’s “never met her,” and called her a “whack job.” (Read and watch his full remarks in her piece.)

The town hall drew millions of viewers for CNN, according to the latest ratings. Then on Thursday, Trump appealed the jury’s verdict:

Former President Trump has appealed the jury’s verdict that found him liable for sexually abusing and defaming E. Jean Carroll. […]

Trump’s attorneys filed a notice of appeal with the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Thursday afternoon, the first formal step in contesting the verdict. His lawyers previously indicated they would do so.

But as I mentioned at the start, that’s not the last word Thursday. Now, a lawyer for E. Jean Carroll says it’s not out of the realm of possibility that his client might sue Trump again, this time for what he said at the CNN event:

Carroll’s lawyer, Roberta Kaplan, told The New York Times they may file another suit based on those comments.

“Everything’s on the table, obviously, and we have to give serious consideration to it,” Kaplan told the paper.

“We have to weigh the various pros and cons and we’ll come to a decision in the next day or so, probably.”

Advertisement

Another element worth mentioning: also on Thursday, Kaplan shared something of a bombshell revelation. My colleague Nick Arama wrote that “[s]he admitted that Carroll was involved in helping” the Adult Survivors Act get passed into law:

…[T]he only reason they were able to bring a sexual assault claim was because of a new law that was passed in New York in 2022 called the Adult Survivors Act. That Act, signed by Democrat NY Gov. Kathy Hochul allowed for a “one-year lookback window for survivors of sexual assault” to sue their alleged abuser “regardless of when the abuse occurred.” […]

Now, I will note that she’s made some bizarre remarks in the past, so I’m not sure I would believe it if it was just her saying it, but the lawyer said it. What exactly did she do to help get it passed?

Maybe instead of a roller coaster, the more apt metaphor is a merry-go-round. This thing just keeps going in circles—and no one knows when it’s going to stop. Stay tuned to these pages for whatever comes next.

Sponsored

Recommended

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on RedState Videos