BREAKING: Omaha Mall Shooting Injures 2, 1 Critically; 2 Shooters at-Large: Police

There’s breaking news on a shooting Saturday afternoon at a mall in Omaha, Nebraska, that has left two injured, including one in critical condition, according to the most recent reports.


Details on the incident were revealed during a press conference that ended in the last hour.

The Omaha World-Herald:

Law enforcement is actively searching for suspects involved in a shooting that injured two people at Westroads Mall earlier today.

Police determined the suspects had fled the scene after searching the mall, according to Lt. Neal Bonacci with the Omaha Police Department. Police did not provide a description of the suspects, citing a need to review security footage before releasing those details.

Officers first gave the “all clear” around 1 p.m. — about an hour after multiple shots were fired.


The report continued:

Two people were injured in the shooting, Bonacci said. A male victim with critical injuries was transported to Creighton University Medical Center-Bergan Mercy, while a woman in her 20s with a gunshot wound to her leg was taken to Immanuel Hospital.

Bonacci said the scene at the mall was not an active shooter situation.

Coincidentally, one of the publication’s reporters was present in the mall’s food court when the shooting started around noon.

The gunfire prompted a panic inside the mall as the shots rang out around noon CDT.

A World-Herald reporter who was in Flagship Commons, the food hall located at Westroads, heard screams and saw a crowd of people running toward the food court away from the main section of the mall.

People in the food court then began to abandon their meals as they joined the throng headed toward the exit on the north side of the building. Some furniture was tipped over in the rush, and some food ended up on the floor.

More details on the female victim, and on what officials know about the suspected gunmen.



A second victim suffered a serious but non-life threatening injury to her leg, Lt. Neal Bonacci said during a press briefing

The shooting happened around noon, Bonacci said. Security footage showed two suspects fleeing the mall. Investigators are still looking for them and working to identify them, according to Bonacci.

The incident comes on the heels of Friday’s mass shooting at an Indianapolis FedEx facility, in which the shooter killed eight people, before taking his own life at the scene.

As this is a breaking story, RedState will provide updates as they become available.


Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on RedState Videos