**Promoted from the diaries.**
Yes, I am pro-life. I am pro-life for both mother and child.
As much as I would love a world free of abortions, I know that will not happen. After reading the 200+ page grand jury report on Kermit Gosnell, I knew some things had to change. So here are my thoughts.
- The clinics need to be inspected like any other outpatient clinic.
- All abortions are required to be done by an OB/GYN.
- A mandated check-up a week after the procedure.
- A support group and/or individual counseling to be provided.
1. In the report, it states the condition of the clinic. It was riddled with rats. Body parts were found everywhere. Garbage bags were sitting out in view. The blankets they gave the ladies were unwashed and contaminated. If the health department were allowed to inspect the property without worry of protest, it would be closed down until they cleaned up the filth. Also, there was medically unlicensed staff handing out medication. That led to some underdosing and overdosing of medications.
2. Too many things can go and do go wrong in the Gosnell case since he was not a trained OB/GYN. He perforated a 19-year-old woman’s uterus rendering her barren. I know there was at least one woman that died because of the treatment she received at the clinic. There were several women that left that clinic permanently scarred because he was not trained correctly.
3. An abortion is a medically invasive procedure. With any invasive procedure, a doctor needs to do a follow up to make sure the patient is healing correctly. The need to make sure the uterus is structurally sound and there is no infection.
4. Some women need people to talk to afterward and can’t afford one-on-one counseling. A support group of women that went through the same procedure would be great for that. Low-cost, one-on-one sessions should also be provided if a licensed psychiatrist is willing to do so on a sliding scale. Most larger cities should be able to find a few.
I honestly believe implementing those four items would help tremendously. I’m not a supporter of abortions, but I also don’t want the mother to die or be marred for the rest of her life because of it. I am pro-life. Life for all involved.