As I reported previously, Gov. Andrew Cuomo told an incredible lie during an interview on Wednesday. He said that Wuhan coronavirus patients were never sent to the nursing homes in New York, that there were ample other places to send them such as the Javits Center that had been set up by the president and the federal government to help out New York.
Cuomo tells Finger Lakes Daily News that COVID patients were never sent to nursing homes
“It never happened” pic.twitter.com/JssBVNqg7n
— Jewish Deplorable 🇺🇸 (@TrumpJew) September 30, 2020
It is true they could have sent them to the Javits Center. The crime is that they didn’t. They rejected sending such patients to the Comfort hospital ship or the Javits Center, even when the nursing homes were pleading for relief.
Instead, Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a March 25 order requiring the nursing homes to take virus patients and over 6,000 positive virus patients were sent into the nursing homes with the most vulnerable elderly patients. At least 6000 nursing home patients died from the virus. But we don’t even know how many actually may have died because after the scandal broke then suddenly they started no longer counting the cases if the person got it in the nursing home but did in a hospital.
After this obvious lie, Sen. Ted Cruz raised the issue of his brother’s handling of the virus and the nursing home scandal with CNN’s Chris Cuomo and he had a meltdown.
CNN has failed to call out Andrew Cuomo on the scandal for months. But finally, faced with such a huge lie, in an instance of pigs flying, CNN is actually calling the governor’s falsehood a lie.
Facts First: Cuomo’s assertion that “it never happened” is false. According to a report from the New York State Department of Health, “6,326 COVID-positive residents were admitted to [nursing home] facilities” following Cuomo’s mandate that nursing homes accept the readmission of Covid-positive patients from hospitals. Whether or not this was “needed,” it did in fact happen.
CNN even covered how many positive patients were sent to the nursing homes.
On May 21 The Associated Press reported, “More than 4,500 recovering coronavirus patients were sent to New York’s already vulnerable nursing homes” under the state’s advisory.
In July, the state’s Health Department released a report that found “approximately 6,326 COVID-positive residents were admitted to facilities between March 25, 2020 and May 8, 2020.”
Obviously 6,326 is just a bit more than none.
The bottom line was they did have the extra beds. He’s admitting that. But they sent them into the nursing homes anyway. He just made the scandal even worse. The DOJ is looking into the matter and hopefully this prompts a full on investigation into this.