Pleading the Fifth in front of Congress is all the rage among the left's elite this summer.
We just had Anthony Fauci do it 111 times as he refused to answer questions about his role in the COVID-19 pandemic, including U.S. funding for controversial virus research in Wuhan and whether he had previously misled Congress about it.
And, now, the folks at scandal-ridden ActBlue are getting in on the act, with the co-founder refusing to answer questions in a closed-door deposition before three key House committees. This comes just a few months after the company's CEO pulled a Fauci and pleaded the Fifth when appearing in front of the Committee on House Administration.
For context, ActBlue is the main online fundraising platform used by the Democrat Party to process billions of dollars in small-dollar donations for Democrat candidates, committees, and left-wing organizations.
As RedState reported back in June, ActBlue CEO Regina Wallace-Jones uttered one phrase over and over again to congressional investigators: "On the advice of my counsel, I respectfully decline to answer this question pursuant to my Fifth Amendment rights under the Constitution."
On Thursday, Wallace-Jones' colleague, platform co-founder Matt DeBergalis, reportedly did the same.
BREAKING: ActBlue cofounder Matt DeBergalis pleads Fifth under congressional questioning in foreign donation probe, source tells @liz_elkind
— Fox News (@FoxNews) August 20, 2026
DeBergalis made a behind-closed-door appearance before the Committee on House Administration, House Oversight Committee, and House Judiciary Committee to address allegations that substandard fraud prevention standards allowed foreign donations to land in the coffers of left-wing candidates and causes.
The investigators apparently got nowhere with DeBergalis, who left the room after only 30 minutes.
Despite numerous warnings that their system may be processing illegal donations for Democrats, one of the congressional investigators, GOP Rep. Bryan Steil (WI-01), said it's still unclear if the company has updated its practices.
"It's unclear how serious ActBlue is now taking fraud. We know that they weakened their fraud standards previously. Did they make the changes that are needed to root out foreign funds from coming into U.S. Elections?" Steil asked.
"What is so frustrating for me, and I think countless others — they have a right to not answer our questions, but I think the American people also have a rights to know exactly what's taking place on this platform that has raised roughly $20 billion for Democratic candidates and liberal causes since its creation," Steil said.
After Wallace-Jones refused to answer questions back in June, Republican Rep. Jim Jordan (OH-04) revealed that all of ActBlue's fraud prevention team have either resigned or been fired and noted that the company's own board chairman had admitted it looked like $38 million of donations processed by the platform were of "foreign origin."
Concluded Jordan, "I'd have taken the Fifth too for goodness sake!"
As of this writing, Congress has yet to make a criminal referral to the Department of Justice.
Editor's Note: President Trump is leading America into the "Golden Age" as Democrats desperately try to stop it.
Help us continue to report on President Trump's successes and combat Democrats' lies. Join RedState VIP and use promo code FIGHT to receive 60% off your membership.







Join the conversation as a VIP Member