After an unsuccessful bid for the presidency, Florida Senator Marco Rubio indicated that his time in politics was short and he’d be returning to life in the private sector when his term was up.
On Monday morning, during an interview with Hugh Hewitt, and in light of the Orlando, Florida mass shooting, his resolve to retire from the political spotlight seems to have been shaken.
CNN reports his response, in regards to running for Senate reelection:
“I haven’t even given it thought in that perspective, other than to say I’ve been deeply impacted by it and I think when it visits your home states, when it impacts a community you know well, it really gives you pause, to think a little bit about your service to your country and where you can be most useful to your country,” Rubio told Hewitt. Rubio’s Senate office posted the clip to his YouTube account shortly afterward Monday morning.
“You know, honestly, I haven’t thought about it from a political perspective but it most certainly has impacted my thinking in general about a lot of things,” Rubio added.
As late as last week, Senator Rubio has insisted that he would not seek reelection. This is in spite of the fact that leaders within the GOP have pressed him to reconsider. The young and affable senator remains a strong option for the Senate, even after a failed presidential run. There is also fear of damage in the down ballot races that would lose the majority Republicans currently hold in the House and Senate. The party needs strong, familiar faces to hold those seats.
Senator Rubio further said:
“My family and I will be praying about all this. We’ll see what I need to do next with my life in regards to how I can best serve.”
He has until June 24 to file for reelection, should he choose to run again