Vice President Pence made a campaign stop in Sioux City today that was sponsored by Evangelicals for Trump, an evangelical Christian organization that was formed earlier this month to support President Trump. The organization has of course been pooh-poohed by the legacy media and other assorted leftists since then, but that is to be expected as they continue with 90+ percent anti-Trump coverage in support of Democrat Party political objectives.
The event took place in the Country Celebrations Event Center in Sioux City, a venue that held perhaps 400 people.
Before the event started, I did a brief sampling of some of the attendees. They ranged from octogenarians to first-time teenage voters, from evangelists to agnostics, and from the timid to absolutely rabid supporters of the President. Some were motivated by their pro-life positions, commenting that the Democrats have “lost God” with their rabid support for unrestricted abortion. Others were thrilled by what President Trump has been able to accomplish, with emphasis on the trade deals that will help farmers in this state and across the Plains and Midwest. All-in-all, a raucous and ebullient crowd.
The opening prayer contained this phrase: “a war for the heart and soul of this country” – a prayer for the country to return to its founding principles, and for evangelicals everywhere to quietly engage with their friends and neighbors to encourage their direct participation toward that end.
Pastor Robert Jeffress, a Southern Baptist pastor, author, and radio and television host and senior minister at the 14,000+ member First Baptist Church in Dallas, TX, got the crowd going with a short speech on the importance of being on “the right side of God.” The Democrats have moved so far to the Left that they are on the wrong side of just about every issue. President Trump is the most pro-religious, pro-Israel, and pro-life President in US history. One of his best decisions was to select Mike Pence as his vice president.
Jeffress quoted this passage from the Old Testament: “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord – Psalm 33:12.” Any nation that follows God will be blessed by God. Any nation that rejects God will be rejected by God.
Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds (R): Thanks for being here to support and reelect President Trump and Vice President Pence. Next week is the beginning of the most consequential lifetime in our history. We have a president who is following through with his promises. He is not afraid to be pro-life, not in just words but also through his actions. I am proud to be one of the first governors to sign a fetal heart-beat bill and run a fully pro-life administration in Iowa. Democrats are talking about open borders, GND, abortion on demand, and other socialist policies. They laugh at our values, attack our beliefs, and mock our principles. [introduction of the Vice President]
A loud and boisterous welcome for VP Pence ensued for several minutes.
Some nuggets from Vice President Pence’s remarks:
- I am a Christian, a conservative and a Republican in that order.
- I bring greetings from the 45th president of the United States (the crowd erupted!)
- I am here for one reason only: American and Iowa need four more years of President Donald J. Trump
- On faith and flag, I stand with President Donald Trump
- Thank you for the privilege of serving as your vice president (much applause)
- President Trump has signed the largest increase in our national defense since Ronald Reagan
- While the last administration sent pallets of cash to Iran, this president has taken the fight to radical Islamists and said “No more Benghazis” after Iranian Hezbollah attacked the US embassy in Baghdad
- If the world knows nothing else, the world knows that America stands with Israel
- President Trump kept the long-stated promise that the US would recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
- National security begins with border security; Mexico is now doing more to enforce border security than ever before; apprehensions over the last six months are down over 70%
- The President supports the Constitution and rule of law, having appointed over 150 federal judges
- The President and I stand tall in supporting the sanctity of human life
- As president of the Senate, I cast the deciding vote for legislation that allowed all states across the country to defund Planned Parenthood
- President Donald Trump is the most pro-life president in American history
- We will always defend the freedom of religion of every American of every faith so help me God
- Under the last administration, we learned that the VA was banning Bibles in VA hospitals in order to be “politically correct”; in this administration, VA hospitals will never be religion-free zones
- We will repeal the Johnson Amendment once and for all (it prohibits all 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates)
- Any college and university receiving federal funds must allow people to pray on their grounds
- Thanks to the repeal of restrictive and unnecessary regulations, this year, the country became a net exporter of energy for the first time in 70 years
- A shout-out to Chuck Grassley and Joni Ernst (loud applause)
- Less taxes, less regulations, more trade deals, economy booming, $7.1 million new jobs, 18,000 new jobs in Iowa, stock market soaring, more Americans working than ever before, wages are rising most rapidly for blue-collar Americans
- Growing economy, safer and more secure, America Great Again, four more years, Iowa will go for Trump
- Four more years means: drain the swamp (loud applause), more judges, keeping the economy going, supporting the military
- The Democrat presidential candidates in the Des Moines debate were standing so far left that I thought the stage was going to tip over
- The Democrats support higher taxes, open borders, late-term abortions, and socialist policies that would destroy the country
- It was freedom, not socialism, that created the most prosperous country in the world
- It was this free country, not socialism, that ended slavery, won two world wars, and made America the envy of the world
- America will never be a socialist country
- Every leading Democrat running for president supports the Democrats’ articles of impeachment; they are trying to impeach the President because they know they can’t defeat the President in the 2020 election
- Despite three years of non-stop resistance, President Trump has never stopped fighting for Americans
- Tell your fellow church members, your friends and neighbors, and others what we have been able to accomplish; they need to know the truth on a personal level from people just like them
- Have faith in this president; have faith in your fellow Americans – especially those who don’t know the truth (they can see the light); and have faith in God
- In these challenging times, let’s cling to our faith and pray for all Americans, as He will heal our land like He has always done
- With liberty and justice for all.
- We will Keep America Great!
All in all, an excellent stump speech that was well received by the attendees. It spoke to their concerns and beliefs, with clarity and emotion and sincerity.