VIDEO: Reagan's Star Wars Happening Now in a Galaxy Not So Far, Far Away

An rocket designed to intercept an intercontinental ballistic missiles is launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in Calif. on Tuesday, May 30, 2017. The Pentagon says it has shot down a mock warhead over the Pacific in a success for America's missile defense program. The test was the first of its kind in nearly three years. And it was the first test ever targeting an intercontinental-range missile like North Korea is developing. (Matt Hartman via AP)

North Korea keeps talking trash and testing Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) in violation of UN Security Council Resolutions prohibiting the belligerent little nation from conducting such tests. It’s a good thing then that the US has successfully blasted an ICBM out of the sky in a defense missile launch from California Tuesday. Behold:

According to Vice Adm. James Syring of the Missile Defense Agency, Tuesday’s test rocket “completely obliterated” the ICBM-type rocket used in the exercise.

[Syring] said the Ground-based Midcourse Defense missile launched from a silo at Vandenberg Air Force Base hit the ICBM target head-on in space northeast of Hawaii. Syring also confirmed that the test in the increasingly expensive and expanding missile defense program cost about $244 million. “I was confident before the test that we had the capability to defeat any threat that they would throw at us,” Syring said in a phone briefing to the Pentagon. “And I’m even more confident today after seeing the intercept test yesterday that we continue to be on that course.” North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un has boasted that his missile programs will eventually produce an ICBM capable of hitting the U.S. mainland with a nuclear warhead.

Looks like President Ronald Reagan’s Strategic Defense Initiative — dubbed “Star Wars” by the media — may finally be taking shape. And it only took 30 years.