Earlier today the New York Times published a story detailing the predations on young men — and young boys — by Lincoln Project co-founder, and former senior advisor, John Weaver.
I have not yet read the Times story as a matter of principle, but I have read elsewhere that the story does not mention journalist Scott Stedman who first reported on this topic.
— Scott Stedman (@ScottMStedman) January 31, 2021
Don’t assist the NYT’s theft of intellectual property by reading their story or forwarding it to others. Dig through Stedman’s timeline, as well as the Tweets of Ryan Gidursky who was the first Weaver victim to identify himself as part of Stedman’s reporting.
My focus here is on the reaction of one noteworthy Lincoln Project co-founder to the reporting on Weaver, and the commentary on Twitter that has followed — namely George Conway.
First, Donald Trump, Jr., came out of the box with the following Tweet aimed at several of the Lincoln Project founders, directing his Tweet to them individually, including Conway.
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) January 31, 2021
Even though the Conway family has asked for some privacy, and a reduction in media coverage of their family as they work through some issues involving their internal family dynamic that have resulted from their public personas, George could not resist firing back at Trump Jr., in his “defense” (?) of the Lincoln Project and Weaver. I’m assuming he’s defending Weaver because he’s yet to make any comment that I can find which condemns Weaver.
I sincerely apologize for supporting John Weaver's candidacy for the presidency in the face of numerous credible public accusations of misconduct and supporting his claims that his accusers were all liars ….
Oh, wait …. https://t.co/I2dFyjYG2V
— George Conway (@gtconway3d) January 31, 2021
In fact, so far as I can tell, Conway has not yet made any public comment himself with regard to the allegations against Weaver — allegations which Weaver acknowledged the truth of two weeks ago, long before the current NYT story showing there were many more victims of Weaver than was previously known. The only step taken by Conway on Twitter is his “Retweet” of a statement put out by the Lincoln Project condemning Weaver but denying any knowledge of what he had been doing.
Ryan Girdusky took issue with that statement.
When young men approached them they ignored it.
When they heard I was working on the story they warned Weaver.
When I wrote a story they said nothing.
When Axios published a story they said he’s just gay
— Ryan James Girdusky (@RyanGirdusky) January 31, 2021
But let’s go back to what Conway did say earlier on Sunday in response to Donald Trump Jr. He put forth a sarcastic “apology” for having supported Weaver when he ran for President in the face of “numerous credible public accusations of misconduct….”, mockingly claiming that is what Trump Jr., did in supporting his father’s candidacies.
But, the truth is that Conway DID support Donald Trump in the 2016 election cycle, and he did so after there were “numerous credible public accusations of misconduct…” made against Trump.
When I say they were “credible” that only means they were not fantastical or frivolous on their face. It doesn’t lend credibility to the accusers’ factual claims to which they were not yet entitled. They told stories about encounters with Donald Trump over the years that were of a kind with similar types of stories told by women in all walks of life who encountered famous men under circumstances where, in the aftermath, they felt assaulted or abused by the encounter. Such stories did circulate about Donald Trump in the 2016 campaign cycle.
Similar stories surfaced in the 2020 election campaign about Joe Biden. Who did the Lincoln Project support for President in 2020?? Let’s circle back to that later.
But with regard to Donald Trump and 2016, George Conway was a Trump supporter during that campaign cyle.
That was the same campaign cycle where George Conway was able to provide for his family with the income earned by his wife Kellyanne as a paid campaign operative for the Trump Campaign.
That was the same campaign cycle where George Conway expected to be named Solicitor General of the Department of Justice by Pres. Trump.
And that was the same campaign cycle when George Conway withdrew for consideration to be named as Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division of the Department of Justice.
Politico reported in their story on Conway’s withdrawal as follows:
Conway said in a statement Friday that he’s “profoundly grateful” to Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions “for selecting me to serve in the Department of Justice.”
“I have reluctantly concluded, however, that, for me and my family, this is not the right time for me to leave the private sector and take on a new role in the federal government,” he continued. “Kellyanne and I continue to support the President and his Administration, and I look forward to doing so in whatever way I can from outside the government.”
Five months after withdrawing from consideration, Conway gave an interview to Newsweek in which he claimed that he withdrew from consideration over the events involving the firing of James Comey and Pres. Trump’s handling of the early months of the Russia investigation after he came into office. He called the Trump Administration a “shitshow in a dumpster fire.” He claimed that he didn’t want to join DOJ at that point in time because Trump was “at war” with DOJ.
But history now shows that Trump was right all along in his complaints about Comey, the FBI, and the Obama Justice Department in how they conducted themselves over ridiculous reports obtained by them about Trump-Russia collusion.
The FACTS are that George Conway was a Trump supporter — as a conservative lawyer and member of the Federalist Society — who then was disappointed in not getting a position in the Administration that he wanted.
During the time he held out for the Solicitor General’s post, which was to be a reward to Kellyanne for her loyal service during the campaign, Conway was a willing and enthusiastic supporter of Donald Trump, notwithstanding all the stories in the press by his accusers.
It was only when it became obvious that key players in the Trump White House did not believe George Conway was a good enough lawyer to have the crucially important job of Solicitor General that he skulked away to cry in his breakfast cereal.
It is interesting to scroll through the Twitter timeline of this “conservative lawyer”. Just today his “Retweets” are of comments by the following individuals:
Jim Acosta, Bill Kristol, Steve Vladeck (liberal law professor), Shane Goldmacher (NYT, Politico), Greg Smith (Dem. Candidate in Colorado), Renatto Mariotti (Obama DOJ Official), Briana Golodryga (CNN), The Daily Beast, Lawrence Tribe, Tom Hamburger (WaPo), Harry Litman (Obama DOJ), HuffPost Politics, Ann Cabrera (CNN) and Jonah Goldberg (no talent hack writer).
Go away George Conway. No one knew who you were before 2016. Let’s go back to that.