In light of Martin Bashir’s somewhat… alarming foray into full-contact comparative religion (short version: Bashir attempted to consign Mitt Romney to hell, on-screen, because Bashir thinks that Romney is lying and lying is supposedly grounds for immediate damnation in the Mormon faith*), it’s probably time to revisit my old checklist on conservatives and the media. Romney campaign? This is more or less for your benefit, so please note:
Ten Media Truths for Conservative/Republican Legislators
- The Media hates you, and wants you to die in a fire.
- The Media will only reliably compliment you when you do things to help liberals and Democrats.
- The Media loves it when you attack other conservatives/Republicans.
- You will never, ever, ever be able to reliably buy off the Media by being a ‘good’ (i.e., self-hating) conservative/Republican.
- Every flaw that you have – real or perceived – will be magnified by the Media. You will get no slack at all.
- Every flaw that your opponent has – real or perceived – will be downplayed by the Media.
- If you get an endorsement from a major Media source, it’s probably because your opponent was caught in a horrific scandal. So don’t count on getting that endorsement the next time.
- The Media has no shame, no sense of guilt, and no institutional memory of its own faults, flaws, and prejudices. Do not appeal to its better nature: the Media could care less about your opinion of it.
- Do not whine about any of this: the truth is, this unrelenting hostility from the Media will (if properly handled) simply make you an unstoppable political machine.
- Most importantly: THE MEDIA DID NOT ELECT YOU. The voters did. Keep that in mind when you’re working out your legislative priorities.
Especially the first one. Oh, my, yes, especially the first one.
Moe Lane (crosspost)
*Man, MSNBC must be desperate for ratings.