In an astounding news conference just now, FBI Director James Comey laid out several ways in which Hillary Clinton admittedly broke the law, was reckless with classified information, and almost definitely allowed her private email account to be hacked. However, at the end of the day, Comey stated that the FBI was recommending that no charges be filed against Secretary Clinton.
You can watch the whole video here:
The findings of the FBI were pretty astounding, including the finding that:
- Numerous emails, including 110 emails in 52 threads contained information that was classified at the time it was sent or received;
- The private server was NOT secure and was not an appropriate place to store classified information, and that “a reasonable person in Secretary Clinton’s position” should have known this;
- That they could not determine whether hackers actually accessed Clinton’s private email server, but they were able to determine that hackers were able to access the email addresses of known correspondents of Hillary Clinton, and that through this means, they were able to read Clinton’s emails;
- That Clinton and her team did not turn over all records to State that they were required to;
- That if Secretary Clinton were in a different position, she would face either administrative punishment or sanctions to her security clearance; however
- No criminal charges were recommended at this time.
At the end of the day, Clinton avoids criminal charges, which was likely inevitable. However, this press conference was a brutal destruction of literally every talking point Team Clinton has used to date to deflect attention away from this scandal. Comey even specifically took time to address the “marked classified” nonsense and dismissed it as irrelevant. He blasted Clinton’s judgment over and over again.
And at the end of the day, he said that a person who did what Hillary Clinton did should basically have her security clearance revoked. Comey was probably completely hamstrung from even considering actual criminal charges, but what he did here was to generate 15 solid minutes of commercial material for Donald Trump.