BREAKING: President Trump's Comments on Cancellation of North Korea Summit

Early Thursday, after the Rocket Man’s latest temper tantrum, the White House announced that the planned June summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un was off.Streiff has posted about the events leading up to the cancellation and what to make of it, so I won’t cover any of that here.

President Trump commented on the situation at a previously-scheduled bill signing ceremony at the White House. He said:

I have decided to terminate the planned summit in Singapore on June 12th. While many things can happen and a great opportunity lies ahead potentially, I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea, and, indeed a setback for the world.

I’ve spoken with General Mattis and the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and our military…is ready if necessary. I’ve spoken to South Korea and Japan and they are not only ready should foolish or reckless acts be taken by North Korea, but they are willing to shoulder much of the cost of any financial burden and any other costs associated by the United States in operations if such an unfortunate situation is forced upon us.

Hopefully positive things will be taking place with respect to the future of North Korea, but if they don’t, we are more ready than we have ever been before. North Korea has the opportunity to end decades of poverty and oppression by following the path of denuclearization and joining the community of nations. I hope that Kim Jong Un will ultimately do what is right not only for himself, but perhaps most importantly what’s right for his people, who are suffering greatly and needlessly.

All of the Korean people, North and South, deserve to be able to live together in harmony, prosperity and peace. That bright and beautiful future can only happen when the threat of nuclear weapons is removed. No way it can happen otherwise.

If and when Kim Jong Un chooses to engage in constructive dialogue and actions, I am waiting. In the meantime, our very strong sanctions, by far the strongest sanctions ever imposed, and maximum pressure campaign will continue as it has been continuing. But no matter what happens, and what we do, we will never, ever compromise the safety and security of the United States of America.

I want to make that statement. I feel very, very strongly about it. Our military, as you know, has been greatly enhanced. It will soon be at a level that it never has before.

A lot of things can happen, including the fact that perhaps…it’s possible that the existing summit could take place, or a summit at some later date. Nobody should be anxious. We have to get it right.”

Watch his comments below:

It is worth noting that the administration has already consulted with Japan and South Korea and they’ve agreed to a unified approach.

As Streiff said in his piece, who knows what to make of all of this. Since I live very close to Vandenburg Air Force Base, though, I’m praying that North Korea doesn’t start launching missiles right away.