Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got another dive down the Weird Well of WTF.
- Is there such a thing as Too Much Beef? Western Australia steer too beefy for the slaughterhouse.
- Cop saves chicken from roasting in a fire… gets roasted by colleagues.
- “Money laundering” gets taken literally in the Netherlands.
- All kinds of weird things to name new critters after… a beetle named after a ballplayer? Beats a dino named after Harry Potter’s school, I guess…
- 85mph speeding stop by NC State Trooper turns into… Special Delivery?
Weird News is compiled with assistance from Northwest news aggregator Orbusmax.com.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 11/25: Last Redcoats leave NY, 1783; Battle of Missionary Ridge, 1863; war warning sent to US commanders in Pacific, 1941
- Monday, 11/26: Meade begins fruitless Mine Run campaign, 1863; FDR signs bill establishing fourth-Thursday Thanksgiving, 1941
- Tuesday, 11/27: Confederate terrorist John Hunt Morgan escapes prison, 1863; Washita River Massacre, 1868; Commie spy Alger Hiss released, 1954
- Wednesday, 11/28: Magellan reaches Pacific, 1520; Duryea’s Motor Wagon wins America’s first auto race, 1895; first Grand Ole Opry broadcast, 1925
- Thursday, 11/29: Patriot attack on Ft. Cumberland turned back, 1776; Whitman Massacre, 1847; Byrd flies over South Pole, 1929
- Friday, 11/30: Preliminary articles for Peace of Paris signed, 1782; Battle of Franklin, 1864; Tanaka’s destroyers defeat Wright’s cruiser ambush at Tassafaronga, 1942
- Saturday, 12/1: House tasked with deciding Presidential election, 1824; Ford introduces moving assembly line, 1913; Rosa Parks refuses to give up bus seat, 1955
Today’s Birthdays: Lincoln Memorial designer Henry Bacon, 1866; author Rita Mae Brown, 1944; filmmaker Joe Dante, 1946.
Holidays Around the World: Albania celebrates Albanian Flag Day. It’s Independence Day for Mauritania and Panama and Republic Day for Chad and Burundi. Sri Lanka celebrates Heroes’ Day, and Japan observes Hoonko.
In Memoriam: Sgt. Mark Renninger and Officers Tina Griswold, Ronald Owens and Greg Richards, Lakewood (WA) P.D., murdered Nov. 29, 2009 by a piece of human vermin paroled by Tax Hike Mike. Rest in peace, old friends, knowing that you are not forgotten. #NeverForgiveNeverForget
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Sig-Sauer P320-M17 pistol or Kahr ST9 pistol (both END FRIDAY): http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a pair of Taurus G2C 9mm pistols, SIG M400 Tread rifle, CZ CZ82 pistol, or 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle (Ruger ENDS FRIDAY): http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Henry AR-7 .22LR Survival Rifle Pack or Big Boy .44 Magnum lever-action rifle: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- *Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/ixtzmqn
- GrabAGun, for a Walther PPQ M2 Q4 TAC 9mm pistol: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways give me one entry per person who uses my referral link.
RedState Slack – Realtime Chat and Private Messaging for the VRWC
Several of us commenters put heads together to address some longstanding desires for features the Disqus platform lacks like private user-to-user messaging, and we’ve started up a Slack server for private messaging and chat. If you’d like to join the fun Slacking Off after hours, your invitation to the party is here.
RedState Slack is not officially endorsed or authorized by the staff, advertisers, management or ownership of RedState, Townhall Media or Salem Communications. It is intended to complement the RedState Disqus comment platform, not compete with it. While we have made every reasonable effort to provide a secure platform, user assumes all risks.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
Quote of the Day
Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.–Charles Dickens
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.”
Copyright Diamondback, 2018; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY. Opinions expressed in the preceding piece are solely those of the author and in no way reflect on those of the staff, advertisers, management or owners of RedState, Townhall Media or Salem Communications.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit)
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)