Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got…
Secret Menu/Not-on-Menu Favorites
We’ve all heard about “Secret Menus,” those tasty little morsels only available to those in-the-know like the Mc10:35 (split an Egg McMuffin in half, slide meat and cheese from a McDouble into the middle) or a McKinley Mac (Big Mac made with Quarter Pounder patties), Arby’s Meat Mountain, or the traditional menus that many Chinese restaurants usually only print in Chinese. Some that I’ve seen around the Net that I thought looked interesting:
- Jimmy John’s Gargantuan: Salami, ham, capicola, roast beef, turkey and provolone. “Noah’s Ark” is a double-meat version.
- If KFC’s Double Down isn’t enough, why not go for the TRIPLE Down? A third fried chicken patty, plus more bacon and cheese.
- Not enough artery clogging? Head over to Wendy’s for a “Meat Cube” or “Grand Slam”–four 1/4-pound patties stacked on one bun. (If they really don’t know, order a Triple and an extra patty.)
- Or there’s always Five Guys’s Double Grilled Cheeseburger, which uses entire grilled cheese sandwiches for buns. I haven’t tried the 5G version, but I had something similar once while roadtripping and it was a really good “some for lunch plus some for the road”–usually I’m stuck doing hit-and-run eating here, so haven’t had time to order anything really adventurous.
- A personal favorite that fell off many menus: Pizza Sub–any good Italian-style sandwich shop can make this. Start with a Subway Spicy Italian (the discontinued original was pepperoni only, but the salami makes a nice addition to the flavor profile), Jersey Mike’s #13 or similar, have ’em make it hot and ladle on some marinara sauce from their meatballs. For an equally delicious variation, consider a Pizza Steak–marinara sauce on a cheesesteak, which is actually how the very first of these sandwiches were made, so it’s like a tasty little history lesson wrapped in a roll.
So, what are your favorite hidden gems out there in Reader Land?
This Week In History
- Sunday, 5/6: Crazy Horse surrenders, 1877; Hindenburg disaster, 1937; fall of Philippines, 1942
- Monday, 5/7: Grant breaks off from Battle of the Wilderness, 1864; Battle of the Coral Sea, 1942; Michigan provides final vote to ratify 27th Amendment, 1992
- Tuesday, 5/8: Militia Act passed, 1792; V-E Day, 1945; Dr. No launches 007 film franchise, 1963
- Wednesday, 5/9: Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show opens, 1887; American forces capture Hermann Goering, 1945; Hitchcock’s Vertigo premieres, 1958
- Thursday, 5/10: Second Continental Congress convenes, 1775; Jefferson Davis captured and Quantrill put down, 1865; Golden Spike driven, 1869; Cunningham & Driscoll make ace over Nam, 1972
- Friday, 5/11: Gray explores Columbia River, 1792; ironclad CSS Virginia scuttled, 1862; aircraft carrier Bunker Hill severely damaged by two kamikaze hits, 1945
- Saturday, 5/12: Donner Party heads west, 1846; “Bloody Angle” kills thousands at Spotsylvania, 1864; Commies abandon Berlin blockade, 1949
Today’s Birthdays: Abolitionist John Brown, 1800; Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie, 1864; archaeologist Howard Carter, 1874; journalist Mike Wallace, 1918; politician John Ashcroft, 1942
Holidays Around the World: Most of the former Soviet Bloc along with Israel celebrate Victory Day, and the EU observes Europe Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for an Olympic Arms KRP Retro AR15 pistol, S&W Hi-Viz .500 Magnum revolver or Springfield SAINT AR15 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Mossberg 590M Heat Shield shotgun, Aero Precision M4E1 rifle, or Midland Arms 4-shotgun family-pack: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Glock Gen 4 G17FS or G19X 9mm pistol: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/3vrkx08
- GrabAGun, for an Anderson AM-15 7.62x39mm AR-pattern rifle: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
- Springfield Armory, for a package of a SAINT Edge AR-pattern rifle and XD(M) pistol or an M1A SOCOM 7.62 rifle plus 9mm and .45 XD pistols: http://www.springfield-armory.com/resources/giveaways/
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
Quote of the Day
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” — Mark Twain
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.”
Copyright Diamondback, 2017; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit)
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)