This Week In History
- Sunday, 3/5: Boston Massacre, 1770; Colt patents revolver, 1836; FDR orders “bank holiday,” 1933
- Monday, 3/6: Missouri Compromise, 1820; Alamo falls, 1836; Rosenberg trial begins, 1951
- Tuesday, 3/7: Webster’s “Seventh of March” speech, 1850; Bell granted telephone patent, 1876; bridge at Remagen seized, 1945
- Wednesday, 3/8: New York Stoc Exchange founded, 1817; Battle of Hampton Roads, 1862; “Evil Empire” speech, 1983
- Thursday, 3/9: SCOTUS rules in favor of Amistad slave revolt, 1841; Pancho Villa raids Columbus, NM, 1916; Barbie debuts, 1959
- Friday, 3/10: Formal ceremony to transfer Louisiana Purchase, 1804; Senate ratifies Treaty of Guadelupe Hidalgo, 1848
- Saturday, 3/11: Bureau of Indian Affairs created, 1824; first case in Spanish Flu pandemic, 1918; Lend-Lease Act signed, 1941
Today’s Birthdays: Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., 1841; rollercoaster pioneer LaMarcus Thompson, 1848; “Gilligan’s Island” Skipper Alan Hale, Jr., 1921.
Holidays Around the World: It’s Decoration Day in Liberia.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Carolina Arms TC-45 .45 pistol package or an EAA Witness Pavona .380 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for an SRM Arms 1216 shotgun, Franklin Armory M4, or Navy Arms 1892 Coyote Killer lever-action rifle: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a SIG-Sauer P220 Hunter 10mm pistol or SIGM400 Swat tactical rifle: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/znl4vyk
- GrabAGun, for a CZ P-09 Urban Grey suppressor-ready 9mm pistol: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
- Primary Arms, for $3000 of AR15 upgrade parts: https://wn.nr/njftDY
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision and Primary Arms giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Quote of the Day
Bureaucracy defends the status quo long past the time when the quo has lost its status.–Laurence J. Peter
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Now that you’ve had a chance to take a break, grab a drink and catch your breath, you’re invited to share your own juicy gossip in the Comments Thread.