Well, RedState, it’s The Day After… one long national nightmare is over, and now we must brace ourselves to see if rewarding Giant Douche for not being Turd Sandwich works out to be Worst Case Scenario or somewhere short of it.
On the upside, at least we still have the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread, to commiserate and drown our sorrows. Today, we’ve got…
- Kurd in Irkutsk gets a killer deal on a used bulletproof BMW. Daesh shoot anything moving in Irkutsk. Kurd uses his car as improvised ambulance, extracting wounded regardless of demographics… BMW offers him a free new car and he says “thanks but I’ll pass.”
- We’ve all heard of T.P.’ing things as a prank… but as a way to FIX things? Yup… road cracks in Littleton, Colorado. What’ll they come up with next?
- Samuel L. Jackson must be getting real tired of one of his movies becoming reality… we got Snakes On A Plane. AGAIN.
- Creepy Clowns strike again… in Stephen King’s hometown of Bangor, Maine, it seems that Pennywise, the villain from “It,” decided to take a run at elected office.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 11/6: Crew of raider CSS Shenandoah last Confederates to surrender, 1865; first plutonium for Fat Man A-bomb created, 1944; largest US H-bomb test, 1971
- Monday, 11/7: Battle of Tippecanoe, 1811; Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid killed, 1908; “Galloping Gertie” Tacoma Narrows Bridge disaster, 1940
- Tuesday, 11/8: Trent Affair, 1861; first jet-on-jet dogfight, 1950 (scratch two MiGs!), Contract With America-inspired “Republican Revolution,” 1994
- Wednesday, 11/9: Burnside assumes command of Army of the Potomac, 1862; Great Northeast Blackout, 1965
- Thursday, 11/10: Andersonville POW-camp superintendent Henry Wirz hanged for war crimes, 1865; sinking of SS Edmund Fitzgerald*, 1975; Windows 1.0 introduced, 1983
- Friday, 11/11: Mayflower Compact signed, 1620; Armistice ends shooting in WWI, 1918; U.S. Numbered Highway System introduced, 1926
- Saturday, 11/12: Bay Bridge opens in SFO, 1936; Naval Battle of Guadalcanal begins, 1942; Berners-Lee publishes formal proposal for WWW, 1990
*If anybody busts out singing Gordon Lightfoot out there, I *will* come hunt you down and shove my dirty sweat-socks down your maw…
Today’s Birthdays: United States Marine Corps, 1775 (Happy Birthday, Jarheads!); actress-inventor Hedy Lamarr, 1914; original “Incredible Hulk” Lou Ferrigno, 1951;
Holidays Around the World: It’s World Freedom Day here, Azerbaijan celebrates National Flag Day, Cambodia has their Independence Day, and Germany, Austria and Switzerland observe Inventors’ Day. Go build something! 🙂
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Rock Island .22TCM/9mm 1911 or Sig-Sauer P320RX pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Diamondback Firearms (no relation) DB9 micro 9mm pistol, Mossberg Patriot .375 rifle, or Ruger Hawkeye rifle package: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for an RIA .22TCM/9mm 1911 or M22 .22TCM rifle: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom M5E1 .308 tactical rifle: http://gvwy.io/r1if2vt
- GrabAGun, for an Adams Arms Agency AR15: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry.
Some Discussion Fodder
Of course the Watercooler is as always an open thread, but I just thought I should toss a few questions out to see what y’all think on ’em… I’ll toss my own up in Comments later, after I’m back from fighting with buses and the Morning Mile.
- Now that the GOP nominally holds the Triple Crown, if you had the power to ram any three Federal laws through and give the Dems a taste of their own medicine, what would they be?
- Given that an Article V Convention may take newfound prominence in keeping that power from running amok… if you had the power to insert just one Amendment into the Constitution, what would it be?
Questions from Overseas
I also invited a few of my foreign correspondents to each submit up to five questions they’ve been dying to ask Americans this year but were afraid to… as of press time, only my gal had gotten back to me with a reply so maybe if any of the others respond this might become a recurring feature every once in a while. Bearing in mind that I imposed a condition that I’d only pass along serious questions and not sarcasm, here we go…
- What’s the most annoying thing about Canadians?
- What are your thoughts on Trump as President?
- What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to ask a Canadian but were afraid to?
- Do you think Canada should have a death penalty?
- What one thing would you like to tell a Canadian that they don’t think about?
I’ll ask her later how she feels about our country’s Douchebag Infestation threatening to invade her homeland later after her workday’s done, and try to toss the response up in Comments tonight.
Quote of the Day
These days, if a Democrat says you don’t have a legitimate reason to have something… that’s a legitimate reason to have three of them.–Northwest Firearms forum member “Stomper”
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Hope y’all found something you liked, and now the floor is yours to Sound Off from.