Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., listens as Office of Management and Budget Acting Director Russell Vought testifies before the House Budget Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, March 12, 2019, during a hearing on the fiscal year 2020 budget. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
The cult-like support for Rep. Ilhan Omar has generated some fascinating stances from her supporters, and when I say “fascinating,” I mean absolutely insane.
Take, for instance, this article from Tasmiha Khan of The Independent.
Right off the bat, you can tell this article is going to be a lesson in how political zealousness can literally alter the way you perceive reality. She titles the piece “No politician in living memory has been treated as badly as Ilhan Omar.” Without reading any further into my arguments, I’m sure you already have solid examples as to how this article is just plain stupid.
I’ll continue anyway.
Khan starts off the article with the usual “orange man bad” spiel about how President Donald Trump is a racist and hates Muslims. He doesn’t, but nuances seem to escape Khan. She then proceeds to victimize herself as a Muslim woman of color in a white society, painting herself as a person in danger. Self-victimization is pretty par for the course when it comes to anti-Trump screeds.
After some time, Khan finally gets around to the point by comparing herself to Omar:
It makes me feel that I, like Omar, am also under the magnifying glass. I should not have to fear for my life or that of any other Muslim. If we allow such cruel rhetoric to snowball, we are contributing towards our own demise.
Moving forward, normalizing the hijab would be the first step towards removing stigma and pressure against women like myself and Ilhan. Engaging in dialogue about topics that make us uncomfortable, such as the hijab, can also help to dismantle stereotypes and increase understanding.
It is certainly no coincidence that the two US congresswomen reportedly barred from entering Israel are women of colour, with one of them wearing the hijab and following the Muslim faith. This ban was allegedly made at the president’s request, and is the reality of how Muslim women are stigmatized. It seems the defenders of free speech grow quiet when it is Muslims who are being unfairly silenced.
In short, Trump hates Muslim women of color because they’re Muslim women of color according to Khan.
It’s been said to death at this point, but Israel barred Reps. Rashida Tlaib and Omar from their nation because they supported the BDS movement. Israel has hard and fast rules against that kind of thing, and it shouldn’t have been a surprise that Israel disinvited them.
What’s more, even if Trump did have a hand in it, it wouldn’t matter. As I discussed previously, Tlaib and Omar had nothing but antagonism toward Israel as their goal, and Trump’s advice was solidly taken. It turned out to be the right call, especially given the fact that Tlaib essentially admitted she was going as an anti-Israel activist with her recent refusal to visit the West Bank to see her grandmother at Israel’s invitation under the condition that she leave her politics at the door.
But let’s put that aside for a second and focus on Khan’s claim that Omar is the worst treated politician in living memory.
She’s not. In fact, she’s on the low end of the totem pole considering things that have happened even just recently.
- Trump can’t breathe out of his left nostril without being called racist for not breathing out of his right.
- Rand Paul was attacked and beaten by his neighbor, breaking bones and requiring surgeries. The left laughed about it and still cheers about it happening today, including Ilhan Omar who retweeted a celebratory tweet about Paul’s injuries.
- People actually visit McConnell’s home and openly wish for someone to kill him after the media makes him a pariah. They’ve done this twice now.
- Steve Scalise was shot by a Bernie Sanders supporter. Rand Paul was there too.
- Mike Pence is constantly attacked by the LGBT community, especially sports stars, while literally doing nothing to warrant it.
- JFK was assassinated…just thought I’d throw that out there.
- Ted Cruz can’t sit down at a restaurant or arrive at an airport without being mobbed by idiot protestors. In fact, outside of Trump, Ted Cruz might be one of the most hated politicians by the left and receives so much flak online that Omar pales in comparison. Luckily, he possesses an ability called “humor.”
If the left truly believes Omar is the worst treated politician in living memory, then their memory is incredibly short and narrow.