UAE Says Iran Fired Missiles at Shipping - There Goes Tehran’s 28 Billion Trade Lifeline

AP Photo/Alex Brandon

Iran's regime fired two ballistic missiles toward shipping traffic in the Persian Gulf on Tuesday. The United Arab Emirates has had enough. Abu Dhabi responded by severing every trade, commercial, and financial transaction with the terror state, effective immediately.

Advertisement

Roughly $28 billion in annual commerce is now gone. The UAE was Iran's single largest source of imports, a lifeline the mullahs just torched with their own missiles.

UAE Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Afra Al Hameli made it official Wednesday. No end date. No conditions. Just a hard stop tied to Iran's escalating aggression.

“All trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice.”

No exemptions. No timeline for resumption. Al Hameli also cited international law and the integrity of the global financial system, the kind of language that signals Abu Dhabi is done playing nice.

Neither missile hit land. The UAE said one went down inside its territorial waters and the other outside. Dubai residents first got a warning to find shelter, then an all-clear. Officials reported no injuries or damage.

The UAE Defense Ministry believes the missiles were targeting ships and warned that Emirati forces are at full readiness. Tehran would be wise to believe them.

Tehran, predictably, denied everything. Regime spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei called the accusation "baseless" and accused the UAE of violating "the principle of good-neighborly relations." Rich, coming from a government that has spent months firing missiles and attacking tankers. Iran has also refused to claim responsibility for recent strikes on Emirati oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz.

Advertisement

Read More: Iran Reneges Again, Strikes 2 Ships in Strait of Hormuz — US Responds by Hitting Them Where It Hurts

Iran Just Got Trump's Strongest Warning Yet, but Tehran Seems Intent on Doubling Down


The numbers are devastating for Tehran. Iran imported $21 billion in goods from the UAE in 2024, a full 30.6 percent of everything the country brought in from abroad. Iran sent another $7.16 billion in exports back the other way. That pipeline is now shut. 

For decades, Dubai was Iran's backdoor to the global economy: electronics, gold, machinery, hard currency, and a quiet way around Western sanctions. Washington complained about it for years. Now the door is shut, and the regime has nobody to blame but itself. 

Tuesday's missiles weren't the first provocation. Abu Dhabi was already furious over Iran's attacks on two ADNOC tankers the previous week. The UAE accused Iran of using the Strait of Hormuz as a tool of "economic coercion or blackmail." Iran, as usual, said nothing. 

Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke Tuesday with UAE National Security Adviser Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed Al Nahyan. They discussed navigation through the Strait of Hormuz. The State Department also cited:

“Continued U.S.-UAE coordination to hold Iran and its terrorist proxies accountable for ongoing attacks.”

The public readout says nothing about Washington requesting the trade cutoff. But the Trump administration has been squeezing Iran on every front, and the timing of this announcement is not a coincidence.

Advertisement

President Trump spoke with UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed just hours before the cutoff was announced. Neither side has said what they discussed. But Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had already warned last week that the administration was prepared to "apply measures like have never been seen in the history of the economic isolation" of a country. Iran is finding out what that means. 

Since February 28, Iran has fired more than 550 ballistic missiles, 29 cruise missiles, and 2,265 drones at the UAE. Tuesday was the first reported launch against the Emirates since May. It may prove to be the costliest. 

Tehran can keep disputing it. The door in Dubai is shut regardless, and the mullahs just lost their most important commercial lifeline. Roughly $28 billion a year, gone. They did this to themselves.

Editor’s Note: Thanks to President Trump and his administration’s bold leadership, we are once again respected on the world stage, and our enemies are being put on notice.

Help us continue to report on the administration’s peace through strength foreign policy and its successes. Join RedState VIP and use promo code FIGHT to receive 60% off your membership.

Recommended

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Trending on RedState Videos