Most of my fellow travelers here at RedState are individually and collectively aghast at the slow-motion train wreck that is the Donald Trump candidacy. Many words have been slung to attempt to avoid the looming disaster or to justify it. But before we can avoid it, we need to understand it.
This candidacy has legs for a reason, in a nutshell because there are so many who have been and are so disenfranchised by an inability to become meaningfully represented at the presidential level. The “Establishment” and “Elites” will burn us and our values down versus allow our input. Trump gave the unrepresented a way to fight back, and from all appearances, he is unstoppable.
Most of us know that we have one or more better options. Trump’s strength comes from those who do not understand that WE CAN WIN with a better option. They will win with Trump versus lose again.
The solution then is to provide that better option, and put all of our weight behind it. This is the only way I see to transfer momentum to a new solution.
The better option must have these attributes:
- Provide a clear alternative to the Democratic one (Hillary)*, otherwise people will stay on the “winning” course
- Must give voice to the disenfranchised conservative voters. At this point they have a voice, an alternative can’t take that away
- Must be antagonistic to the stated preferences of Establishment/Elites or again, there is no reason to fight
If this better option existed, then we would have vast majorities of Republican Primary voters who would be better off with the new plan, and we would get the better candidate to the General Election, and better yet, elected as President of the United States in November 2016.
Here is PLAN “B”:
- Identify THE better option. I think there is one – you may disagree and think there are more. More below.
- Put our weight behind the better option, showing Trump supporters why the option is better.
- Convince Trump supporters that they have nothing to lose and a Primary Election to gain. If we can’t get the better option ahead** before the Primary, they can vote for Trump
- Do the work to get our better option ahead**
Now in for a penny, I respectfully go for the pound. [mc_name name=’Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)’ chamber=’senate’ mcid=’C001098′ ] is THE better option.
- [mc_name name=’Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)’ chamber=’senate’ mcid=’C001098′ ] provides a clear alternative to the Democrats
- [mc_name name=’Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)’ chamber=’senate’ mcid=’C001098′ ] gives voice to the disenfranchised conservative voters AND has the track record to back it up.
- [mc_name name=’Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)’ chamber=’senate’ mcid=’C001098′ ] has stood up to and is antagonistic to the Establishment/Elites.
I believe no one else satisfies the complete set of necessary attributes and no one else gives each of (1) conservatives collectively and (2) Republican Primary voters collectively more of what we are looking for.
Can this be done? I think yes, it can. I’d love YOUR THOUGHTS on:
- Can this be done?
- Can you improve upon it?
- And/or, if you dismiss this plan, what is your plan to change the game and stop this slow-motion train-wreck? (continuing the same course and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity)
* You may be saying Trump doesn’t, but (1) he can’t be a better alternative to himself
** As measured somehow (poll(s), aggregated polls, ?)