Thanks to William Teach of the Pirate’s Cove, I saw these wonderful hints from MSNBC on how to enjoy political conversation during Thanksgiving dinner. The byline on the article is simply “MSNBC staff,” so we are informed that this isn’t something designated as an opinion piece, but is simply a standard news (?) article. MSNBC has never hidden its leftist orientation, at least not in its broadcasts, but apparently the editors and staff believe that leftism is simply reality. From the article:
When your mom wants to know what’s going on with Caitlyn Jenner …
- What does “transgender” mean? Sometimes one’s gender identity, or one’s internal sense of being a man or woman, does not coincide with the sex that person was assigned at birth.
- Just like you can’t change someone’s sexual orientation, you can’t change someone’s gender identity. So most people who identify as transgender, or trans, seek to more align their physical bodies with their gender identity.
- But for various reasons, including choice and affordability, not all trans men and trans women choose surgery. Whether a person has undergone surgery or not, you should use the pronouns with which they identify.
- The attempted suicide rate hovers around 40% for those who identify as trans, compared with only 1.6% for the general public. As a public figure, Caitlyn Jenner has served as a tremendous inspiration and comfort for many suffering from discrimination, social stigma, and anti-trans violence.
- About 700,000 people in the U.S. identify as trans, according to 2011 findings from the Williams Institute.¹
In other words, the good liberals at MSNBC want you to lie to your family, to transsexuals, and even to yourself. It does not matter if Bruce Jenner really believes he is a woman; he isn’t. He was born male, he grew up male, he competed athletically as a male, all of his life’s experiences were as a male, and even if he finds some quack to castrate him and build him a faux vagina and give him fake breasts, he will still be a male.² He was never female, he didn’t grow up female, and he had none of the experiences that girls and women have as they go through life; no matter what he believes he is, he simply does not know what it means to be a woman, and his closest female role models are the Kardashians!
To treat transsexuals as being the sex they wish to be is to lie to them; to use “the pronouns with which they identify” is to lie to yourself.
Of course, transsexualism isn’t the only thing MSNBC lied about!
When your uncle wants to discuss the Black Lives Matter movement and whether it should be “all lives matter” …
- Yes, all lives matter! But it’s helpful to remember the “Black Lives Matter” movement is not proclaiming that the only lives that matter are those of blacks, it is saying that black lives also matter.
- The “Black Lives Matter” movement agrees that all lives matter, but it specifically seeks to highlight that young black males in the United States are being killed at alarmingly disproportionate rates and oftentimes their deaths are disregarded and not covered in the mainstream media.
- The deaths of unarmed black men such as Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Walter Scott, and Freddie Gray are among those that have brought this bubbling issue into the mainstream.
- So, when people respond to the movement by saying “all lives matter,” they are misunderstanding the goals of Black Lives Matter, which is to drive attention to the disproportionate rates at which blacks are dying.
- In some ways, saying “all lives matter” is like saying “all cancers matter” to a person suffering from lung cancer. Of course, all cancers matter but, at that moment, the person is specifically grappling with lung cancer — not all cancers. The generalization distracts from the issue at hand.
Naturally, “MSNBC Staff” concentrate on “Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Walter Scott, and Freddie Gray,” but gives no context. Walter Scott was stopped for a minor traffic violation, and then got out of his vehicle and fled the scene on foot; a police officer pursued him and shot him. The shooting may have been unjustified, and the police officer has been charged with murder, but had Mr Scott simply accepted his ticket (for a broken brake light) he’d be alive today. Trayvon Martin attacked and assaulted a neighborhood watch patrolman, and was beating his head into the ground, when the watchman pulled out his weapon and shot Mr Martin. George Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder for this, but was acquitted on all charges by a racially mixed jury. Michael Brown was a wanna-be thug who had just roughed up a clerk and robbed a convenience store, when, high on marijuana, he assaulted a police officer. A grand jury investigated it thoroughly, and found that the police officer had acted in self-defense. And Freddie Gray, though he may have been poorly treated while in custody — charges have been filed, but the cases have not yet been tried — was, to use the journalistic formulation, “known to the police.”
Tamir Rice was playing with a pellet gun which closely resembled a real firearm, and was reported to the police as brandishing a firearm in a Cleveland park; when he did not raise his hands when challenged by the police, but (allegedly) reached for the pellet gun in his waistband, the officers thought he was reaching for a real weapon, and shot him. It was a tragic error, but an understandable one in the circumstances.
What the MSNBC Staff do not mention when they stated that “young black males in the United States are being killed at alarmingly disproportionate rates” is that those young black males being killed at such high rates are being killed by other young black males. It would seem that #BlackLivesMatter only when they are ended by someone who isn’t black. Apparently noting that the killers of young black males are almost always other young black males is raaaaacist, so the left do not mention that at all. To mention that would be, horrors! seen as criticizing the black community, and we can’t have that! When MSNBC Staff wrote, “So, when people respond to the movement by saying “all lives matter,” they are misunderstanding the goals of Black Lives Matter, which is to drive attention to the disproportionate rates at which blacks are dying,” they were lying; if the goals were really about “driv(ing) attention to the disproportionate rates at which blacks are dying,” they’d be addressing the hugely disproportionate rate of violence within black communities, because that is where the vast majority of those young black men are being killed.
There’s really just so much more silliness — if not outright stupidity — coming from MSNBC that it’s hard to believe anyone watches it.
Cross posted on The First Street Journal.
¹ – Footnote by the author: This citation should not be taken at face value. If you follow the link, you will come to an article which notes the difficulties in measuring the “transgender” population, and if you read page 5 of the linked .pdf file, you will note that they are documenting estimates of between 0.1% and 2% of the population as having been somehow surveyed as “transgendered.” Those numbers are twice an order of magnitude (not two orders of magnitude) apart, and such a wide disparity is statistically invalid in drawing conclusions.
² – A google search provides sources which say both that Mr Jenner has, and has not, undergone “reassignment” surgery. I neither know nor care whether he has yet been mutilated.