If you thought the president was giving the judiciary enough rope to hang themselves you just might be right. In an interview with the Washington examiner he is talking about a very real possibility of breaking up the 9th Circuit Court.
President Trump said Wednesday that he has “absolutely” considered proposals that would split up the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, where judges have blocked two of his executive actions.
“Absolutely, I have,” Trump said of considering 9th Circuit breakup proposals during a far-ranging interview with the Washington Examiner at the White House. “There are many people that want to break up the 9th Circuit. It’s outrageous. Everybody immediately runs to the 9th Circuit. And we have a big country. We have lots of other locations. But they immediately run to the 9th Circuit. Because they know that’s like, semi-automatic,” Trump said.”
Putting this in context while very few cases decided by the federal circuit courts actually make it to the supreme court for review, 80% of the 9th’s that do wind up being reversed. What’s more significant are the ridiculous nature of some of the courts decisions. They include the following rulings.
- Ruling the words “Under God” in the pledge of allegiance violated the constitution
- Requiring ID to Vote was fine but requiring proof of citizenship to get the ID was unconstitutional
- Asking potential employees about drug use was unconstitutional
- No constitutional right to concealed carry
- Pro life family planning centers must make abortion referrals
No surprise that breaking up the 9th circuit is a recurring Republican issue or that Newt Gingrich used it as an issue in his last run for president . This is the first time the GOP is in a position to break up the 9th.