As a life long Cub Fan, I say it is time to quit blaming the goat. Ever since Billy Sianis and his pet goat were thrown out of the 1945 World Series at Wrigley Field, people everywhere have been perpetuating the myth of the Billy Goat’s Curse. The “Murphy’s Law” curse finally reveals itself after the Met’s second baseman single handidly destroyed my beloved Cubs in the National league playoffs. As Cubs fans we have spent the last 70 years to exorcise the ghost of Billy Siannis’s goat, never realizing that the true poltergeist haunting the Cubs was Murphy! No, i am not blaming 70 years of futility on the Met’s second baseman, but I am blaming the 107 year drought of not winning a World Series on the name Murphy.
Let me make my case:
1. Charles Murphy owned the Cubs the last time they won the World Series.
He was a very unpopular owner is his day. The story going around is that he was pissed at not being invited to a Cubs World Series celebration shindig where the popular songwriter George M. Cohen was in attendence.
2. The name of the billy goat involved in the 1945 World Series: If you guessed “Murphy”, you are correct.
3. Remember the 1969 baseball season? Yea that one, where the Cubs had a 9 game lead but choked big time down the stretch. The Met’s had a manager by the name of Johnny Murphy and a announcer by the name of Bob Murphy.
4. 1984 Playoff Choke The Cubs stomp all over the San Diego Padres at Wrigley Field to go up 2 games to none. Unfortunately the Cubs had to play the final 3 games at “Jack MURPHY” stadium. Needless to say they lost all 3.
5. 2015 Playoff Choke as we all know now, the Met’s second baseman Daniel Murphy destroyed Cubs pitching to drive the Mets past the Cubs to reaach the World Series.
Congratulations to Daniel Murphy and the New York Mets, Well Done and like I have been saying for the past 50 years or so, “Wait Till Next Year!
Trivia: Did you know 42 Ex-cubs have won World Series rings after leaving the Cubs for other teams.