I’ve noticed a trend in the past two or three weeks.  In the “comments” section of almost every conservative website, the word RINO has been completely redefined.  I think most right-leaning conservatives, and even the media (gasp!) agreed that the term was used to refer to [mc_name name=’Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)’ chamber=’senate’ mcid=’M000355′ ], [mc_name name=’Rep. John Boehner (R-OH)’ chamber=’house’ mcid=’B000589′ ], and other GOP officeholders who tended to use their energy to try to destroy the conservatives in their own party rather than their Democratic opponents.

As of the beginning of September, the term RINO is being plastered on every GOP Presidential candidate except Donald Trump.  Of course this is being done by Trump’s followers, who seem to have taken over the conservative internet, if not the party.

I have two problems with this.  First, Donald Trump has, at best, 35% of the GOP vote.  While that is far and away more than any other single candidate, please remind me in which election cycle a candidate won the nomination with 35% of the vote?  And yet all I read is “Trump has it!”; “President Trump”, etc.  The other 65% of Republicans polled are not supporting Trump for a collection of reasons.  Many of the current candidates for the nomination will be dropping out soon, mainly for financial reasons.  Very, very few of their votes will go to Trump.

My second problem lays solely at Donald Trump’s feet:  This man has been a Clintonista for the last twenty years.  I always try to look at what politicians do before I dissect what they say.  Until recently, The Donald was a real estate developer, not a politician, but I “followed the money”.  Bill, Hillary, Shumer, etc.  Sorry, but nothing in his past said “conservative” to me.  I think Bobby Jindal is 100% correct.  Trump is neither liberal nor conservative, but simply a Trumpite.

The GOP convention may open with a Rubio vs. Trump battle.  The truth is, it really won’t be much of a battle at that point.  At the end, it will be Rubio vs. Biden, or even Rubio vs. Clinton.  If many of the Trump supporters pick up their ball and go home, we will experience yet another four years of ruinous Democratic policies.

I’ll be waiting to see the “Trump 2020” bumper stickers.

Trending on Redstate Video