The UN has been a problem for a long time. The vote reminds us of what a problem the UN is. That’s why. It is the silver lining in this vote. But for this vote, the problems of the UN would have just slumbered on.
1) Big bureaucracies of overpaid staff. The UN really is just a club where world affairs are not taken seriously (like Donald Trump tweeted).
2) Israel bashing. It is just one country after all while the Arabs are many countries. For a culture where justice and honor are not valued really, it is just too easy to gang up on the one country and curry favor with the others. That’s the culture of the UN.
Did you know that in 2015 anti-Israel resolutions passed in the General Assembly were 20 while just 3 resolutions were passed for all of the rest of the world combined?
1) Stop paying the UN indefinitely. If the next Democrat President wants to catch up the bills then that’s his lookout.
2) Do not leave the UN because
3) Issue standing instructions to the UN Ambassador to vote no on everything unless specifically directed otherwise. The Ambassador and the State Department should keep tabs on UN resolutions so that if anything worthwhile comes up the Ambassador can be specifically directed to vote yes.
President Obama has reminded us of the problem of the UN and highlighted it. We cannot just blame the UN anti-Israel vote on Obama. After all, the rest of the nations voted for it. Now we know. Something must be done.