And not that Obama merely proposed “it”.
Congress passed “it”, but “it” is a small decrease in automatic budget law increase and does not require the specific draconian budget cuts that the Chief executive threatens and could easily be absorbed without resort to any so threatened.
Here is the actual text of the actual sequestration bill that the Republican House and Democratic Senate passed; and that President Barack Obama signed into law in 2011:
112th Congress Public Law 25 (S. 365)
You will read in vain to discover that any of the following cuts, threatened by Obama, are required:
- Furloughs of 800,000 civilian Pentagon employees;
- Meat inspector furloughs from which food shortages will result;
- Air Traffic Controller furloughs resulting in three-hour waits at airports to clear security;
- Reductions in embassy protection and border patrols;
- Cutting the Persian Gulf Naval presence from two aircraft carriers to one;
- Diminished emergency services;
- fewer police and firefighters on the streets;
- Reduced military readiness;
- Criminals going free because federal prosecutors will have to close cases;
- Thousands of teacher and educator layoffs
- Tens of thousands of parents will have to scramble to find child care for their kids;
- Hundreds of thousands of Americans will lose access to primary care and preventive care like flu vaccinations and cancer screenings; and
- Job-creating investments in education and energy and medical research.
President Obama is lying to support blackmail threats intended to force House Republicans to enact more tax increases on the “rich”, as he defines them, or to further the now 80-year old Democratic Party narrative that the Republican Party doesn’t care about average Americans. He is counting on the demonstrated ignorance of the American people who re-elected him and the incompetence of elected Republicans like Speaker John Boehner to obtain.
Thankfully, we have a few elected Republicans like Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) who are mad as hell and aren’t gonna take this anymore:
“We need the Democratic party to quit lying back and attacking Republicans who are laying out a plan to put the country on a sound financial footing, while they never expose themselves with any plan.”
Bottom Line: Since we can’t force a Commander-in-Chief to defend us against enemies foreign and domestic no matter what bill we pass; and can’t pass further tax hikes during the worst “recovery” since the Great Depression without surrendering common sense, Republicans must not cave, no matter what wounds to the nation Obama insists upon inflicting.
The fact is that Obama’s re-election ensures that the reconstruction of American can only begin after the next Inauguration in 2017. But until then, is it too much to ask that we call him and the Democrats out for the immorality of their actions? I pray not.
GOP, please follow Senator Sessions’ lead!
“One man with courage makes a majority.” – Andrew Jackson
Editor of Hillbilly Politics
Atlanta Law & Politics columnist at Examiner.com
Front page columnist for Liberty Unyielding and Western Free Press