Official Title As Introduced:
Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act – To acknowledge the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery in the United States and the 13 American colonies between 1619 and 1865 and to establish a commission to examine the institution of slavery, subsequently de jure and de facto racial and economic discrimination against African-Americans, and the impact of these forces on living African-Americans, to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14] (introduced 1/6/2009)
Latest Major Action: 1/6/2009 Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
The purpose of this Act is to establish a commission to–
(1) examine the institution of slavery which existed from 1619 through 1865 within the United States and the colonies that became the United States, including the extent to which the Federal and State Governments constitutionally and statutorily supported the institution of slavery;
(2) examine de jure and de facto discrimination against freed slaves and their descendants from the end of the Civil War to the present, including economic, political, and social discrimination;
(3) examine the lingering negative effects of the institution of slavery and the discrimination described in paragraph (2) on living African-Americans and on society in the United States;
(4) recommend appropriate ways to educate the American public of the Commission’s findings;
(5) recommend appropriate remedies in consideration of the Commission’s findings on the matters described in paragraphs (1) and (2); and
(6) submit to the Congress the results of such examination, together with such recommendations.
Slavery is something humans should be incapable of at a minimum and if acted on, those guilty of treating other humans in that manner should be transported sans-space suit to the moon. Am I right Chinese sweat shop owners…….. Kathie Lee, you got an opinion on the subject ?
But to me, this legislation looks to be a looming disaster in what might partially be an attempt by the race-baiting crowd to incite a race war.
I’m trying to stay just a conduit and bringing the message. I strive to be respectful to everyone, so I’ll stop now and let the comment chips fall where they may.
Kenneth L Solomon…………Typical, Bitter, Jewish, God-Clinging, Small-Thinking, Prejudicial, Bigoted, Gun Owner and Barking Mad Insane NASCAR Fan……………Please support the Jamie McMurray Foundation For Autism Speaks.