Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got…
Drill of the Month: Vickers 300
This surprise addition to Drill of the Month comes from old boardmate Mas Ayoob, created by noted gunsmith and trainer Larry Vickers.
Target: NRA B-8, round 25yd bullseye. Possible Score: 300.
Equipment: Sidearm of choice; thirty rounds ammunition; spare magazines or speedloaders as needed–for revolvers and single-stack autoloaders I suggest loading five rounds per mag/loader, double-stack autos ten.
Stage One: Five yards, ten rounds, weak hand only.
Stage Two: Ten yards, ten rounds, strong hand only.
Stage Three: Twenty yards, ten rounds, “freestyle.”
Notes: Further review indicates that by “freestyle,” Vickers meant “shoot however fits you best.” Shooting with cataract-plagued eyes and a Trijicon RMR red-dot (a *very* low-compatibility combination), Mas got 294/300. Can anybody here match that?
Hat tip to Mas’s blog at Backwoods Home Magazine, https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/spanning-the-centuries/
Fire Mission Request: Washington State Initiative 1639
Once again, and you’re going to get sick of this every week until the election but defeating this Bloomer-bought-and-paid-for monster needs All Hands On Deck, I need to ask you the readership to contact anyone and everyone you know in Washington State who might be sympathetic to our cause and ask them to get the facts for themselves at SaveOurSecurity.net and Initiative1639.org. Cliffs Notes version on how bad this thing really is can be found in a handy little flyer at https://www.initiative1639.org/media/1182/wa-initiative-1639-insert-v4.pdf. Bloomer & Co. already bought the Washington Supreme Court to overturn a lower-court ruling that this initiative’s non-compliance with state law on petition requirements made it ineligible, so…
This Week In History
- Sunday, 9/2: Dept. of the Treasury established, 1789; V-J Day, 1945; first ATM enters service, 1969
- Monday, 9/3: Treaty of Paris signed to end Revolutionary War, 1783; WWII formally declared in Europe, 1939; Allies invade Italian mainland, 1943
- Tuesday, 9/4: Geronimo surrenders, 1886; Wake Island retaken, 1945; first transcontinental TV broadcast, 1951
- Wednesday, 9/5: First Continental Congress convenes, 1774; Houston elected President of Texas, 1836; Japanese withdraw after defeat at Milne Bay, 1942
- Thursday, 9/6: John Dalton invents atomic symbols for elements, 1803; McKinley shot, 1901; Piggly Wiggly introduces self-service grocery, 1916
- Friday, 9/7: Bushnell’s Turtle makes first submarine attack, 1776; James-Younger gang’s Northfield robbery disrupted by armed citizens, 1876; F-22 Raptor first flies, 1997
- Saturday, 9/8: 2nd Battle of Sabine Pass, 1863; golden spike for Northern Pacific Railway, 1883; Ike announces armistice with Italy, 1943
Today’s Birthdays: Father of chain grocery-stores George Huntington Hartford, 1833; outlaw Jesse James, 1847; filmmaker Darryl F. Zanuck, 1902; actor Michael Keaton, 1951.
Holidays Around the World: Denmark observes the longwinded Flag-Flying Day for Denmark’s Deployed Personnel and India celebrates Teacher’s Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS pistol with red-dot sight or SCCY CPX-3 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a North American Arms NAA-22 .22LR derringer or Savage MSR 15 Valkyrie rifle: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for one of two Remington 870 Express Compact 12-gauge shotguns: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- GrabAGun, for a Kel-Tec CMR-30 .22WMR rifle: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
Quote of the Day
Something the Left could stand to learn about their efforts to cram their agenda down everyone’s throats…
You can’t make a life-altering decision for someone else and expect it to stick.
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.”
Copyright Diamondback, 2018; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY. Opinions expressed in the preceding piece are solely those of the author and in no way reflect on those of the staff, advertisers, management or owners of RedState, Townhall Media or Salem Communications.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit)
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)