Welcome back to another installment of the Watercooler, RedState’s daily Open Thread! Today, we’ve got…
And Goobermint Types Say We Can Trust Them To Tell The Whole Truth?
We always hear about Centers for Disease Control wanting to treat shooting as a “disease” and braying about how Congress won’t let them “properly study gun violence.” Bet you NEVER heard that back in the ’90s they did a study and found that Defensive Gun Use incidents outstripped gun crimes by a ratio better than three-and-a-half to one. Nope, can’t publish that, doesn’t fit the narrative…
“Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck conducted the most thorough previously known survey data on the question in the 1990s. His study, which has been harshly disputed in pro-gun-control quarters, indicated that there were more than 2.2 million such defensive uses of guns (DGUs) in America a year.
Now Kleck has unearthed some lost CDC survey data on the question. The CDC essentially confirmed Kleck’s results. But Kleck didn’t know about that until now, because the CDC never reported what it found.”
Read the rest at https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/20/cdc-provides-more-evidence-that-plenty-o –it’s worth reading the whole article.
And while we’re here, let’s take a look at Defensive Use of Evil “Assault Weapons”…
- Knife-wielding maniac attacks. Victim’s neighbor runs him off with AR15, cites “intimidation factor” that handguns lack.
- THIS is why we need full-capacity magazines: Multiple-member home-invasion crews. Over thirty rounds required to run off these three scumbags in Florida.
- From the archives: Same thing, a year ago in Oklahoma.
- Houston, May 2017: After crashing vehicle, three would-be Drive-By murderers press engagement on foot. AR15-equipped homeowner puts all three out of the fight.
- Five more bone-chilling saves from 2010 to 2013 documented here.
Why AR’s for Home D?
Editor Tom Knighton at sister-site Bearing Arms has a really good writeup here, but his six key arguments can be quickly summarized as “lightweight, compact, low recoil, versatility, accuracy, capacity.” He also provides a very good rebuttal to the Grabbers’ arguments against the AR for Home D. Not enough? Consider the wisdom of former Navy SEAL Dom Raso. Need some ideas for Home D setups? Shooting Illustrated has you covered. So when somebody says you shouldn’t have an AR, just ask them “What do YOU have planned for me that makes you fear I might use it against you?” Then go buy three. Or buy Eighty Percent Lower blanks and build three. Either way, when the Heirs of Hitler don’t want you to have something, that’s a legitimate reason to get as much of that something as you can lay hands on… and make sure you train on how to effectively USE it.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 4/22: John Paul Jones raids Whitehaven, 1778; Oklahoma Land Rush, 1889; Allied forces assault Hollandia, New Guinea, 1944
- Monday, 4/23: The Bard born, 1564; “Hammerin’ Hank” hits first homer, 1954; “New Coke” debacle, 1985
- Tuesday, 4/24: Attack on Petersburg, VA, 1781; Library of Congress established, 1800; Truman let in on A-bomb, 1945; Desert One disaster, 1980
- Wednesday, 4/25: Robinson Crusoe published, 1719; Cornwallis retreats from Guilford, 1781; Hubble Telescope placed in orbit, 1990
- Thursday, 4/26: 16-year-old Sybil Ludington warns of approaching Redcoats, 1777; Marines take Derne, 1805; SS Ideal X sails to introduce container shipping, 1956
- Friday, 4/27: Battle of York (now Toronto), 1813; Cornell University established, 1865; Xerox introduces computer mouse, 1981
- Saturday, 4/28: Maryland ratifies Constitution, 1788; Billy the Kid escapes, 1881; peace treaties in San Francisco and Taipei officially end WWII “state of war,” 1952
Today’s Birthdays: Radio inventor Guglielmo Marconi, 1874; journalist Edward R. Murrow, 1908; singer Ella Fitzgerald, 1917; politician Jon Kyl, 1942
Holidays Around the World: Faroe Islands and Swaziland both celebrate Flag Day, Aussies and Kiwis observe Anzac Day, Italy celebrates Liberation Day and Portugal has Freedom Day. It’s also DNA Day, Red Hat Society Day and World Malaria Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Springfield SAINT AR15 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for an Aero Precision M4E1 rifle, Midland Arms 4-shotgun family-pack, or KRISS .22LR AR-pattern rifle: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Walther PPQ Q4 TAC or PPQ M2 SC 9mm pistol: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15: http://gvwy.io/mvr6mia
- GrabAGun, for a Ruger AR-556 5.56mm AR15: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
- Springfield Armory, for a package of an M1A SOCOM 7.62 rifle plus 9mm and .45 XD pistols: http://www.springfield-armory.com/resources/giveaways/
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways give me one entry each per person who uses my referral link.
Public Service Announcement for “Sanctuary State” Residents
If you would like to report illegal aliens, please call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (347-2423). They will need to know names, locations (either work place or residence) and any other specific information you can provide. Visit http://www.ice.gov for more information.
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. And as so eloquently coined by ntrepid, “Thanks for the click! Your effort helps fund future posts of this nature.”
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.”–Voltaire
Copyright Diamondback, 2017; publication license granted exclusively to RedState. If you’re reading this anywhere BUT RedState, you are seeing STOLEN PROPERTY.
Tip Jar – If you like what you read here, please consider hitting one of these and further funding my modest little effort. Thanks! 🙂
- 1-800-Guns And Ammo: http://i.refs.cc/ov8iWvDx?u=1522834489762 – You get 5% off your first order, I get 75 Rewards Points. (~$7.50 store credit)
- Dvor: https://www.dvor.com/s/8l190b – I get $10 in store credit after your first order ships.
- Star Citizen computer game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JRY4-Z754 – You get 5000 credits for the in-game store, and if you buy a $40 game package I get a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff. (Next goal: 5 more RP’s to a free ship.)