SHOT Show Roundup, Part 2
- Film-prop warehouse Independent Studio Services exhibited Mal’s modified Taurus 85 and Jayne’s 1911 from Serenity, along with close-up-shot and customized versions of the Man in Black’s LeMat revolver from Westworld.
- Farewell Beretta, the next US military sidearm is a variant of SIG’s P320.
- Speaking of Beretta, they presented original Hulk Lou Ferrigno with a custom “Hulk Green” Px4 pistol.
- Of interest to the ladies, Concealed Carrie showed off their line of pistol-packing handbags. (And not to leave guys out, they have a discreet-carry briefcase for us too.) All in all, the ladies’ needs were actually pretty well represented this year.
- More SHOT coverage can be found at Guns.com and TheFirearmBlog.com.
Flake Proposes 9th Circus Split; A Request to Arizona Readers
Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is teeing up a bill to split the oversized, overpowerful and over-Leftist 9th Circuit Court of Appeals again. Sounds good, right? The problem is when you drill into details he still leave a very big, very powerful 9th Circus holding the whole Left Coast hostage, just peeling off Alaska and the easternmost edge.
- Current Ninth: Alaska, Arizona, California (as 4 Federal District Courts), Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington (as two Federal DC’s), Guam, N. Mariana Islands
- Flake proposed Revised Ninth (10 District Courts): California (as 4 Federal District Courts), Hawaii, Oregon, Washington (as two Federal DC’s), Guam, N. Mariana Islands
- Flake proposed New Twelfth (5 District Courts) : Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada
This still leaves a very big and powerful Ninth, and allows Bloomberg the “Left Coast Blue Wall” he so craves. My request to our Arizona readers is to contact him with something similar to this alternate revision:
- Alternate Revised Ninth (6 District Courts): California South/Central/East (3 of its 4 Federal District Courts), Hawaii, Guam, N. Mariana Islands
- Transfer to Tenth: Arizona (joins neighbors Colorado, Utah, New Mexico)
- Alternate New Twelfth (7 District Courts) : Alaska, Washington (two FDC’s), Oregon, Idaho, Montana, California North (redrawn to move San Francisco into Central, think “State of Jefferson proposed boundaries”)
As a bonus, splitting California across two Circuits would give two bites at the apple curtailing Sacramento’s frootloopery. 🙂
This Week In History
- Sunday, 1/22: Columbia Phonograph (now Records) incorporated, 1889; CIA forerunner Central Intelligence Group established, 1946; Boeing 747 enters revenue service, 1970
- Monday, 1/23: Elizabeth Blackwell becomes first female MD in US, 1849; Frisbee introduced, 1957; North Korea pirates USS Pueblo, 1968
- Tuesday, 1/24: Gold found near Sacramento, 1848; first canned beer sold, 1935; Apple launches Mac line, 1984
- Wednesday, 1/25: First transcontinental phone service, 1915; Goldsmith files first electronic-game patent, 1947; Manson cult convicted, 1971
- Thursday, 1/26: First Battle of Seattle, 1856; Burnside relieved, 1863; first WWII US forces reach Europe, 1942
- Friday, 1/27: P-38 Lightning first flies, 1939; Knox’s artillery reaches Cambridge, 1776; Apollo 1 fire, 1967
- Saturday, 1/28: US troops leave non-Guantanamo Cuba, 1909; Congress reestablishes Coast Guard as Armed Forces branch, 1915; Challenger disaster, 1986
Today’s Birthdays: Actor Dean Jones, 1931; physician-politician Andy Harris, 1957; singer Alicia Keys, 1981
Holidays Around the World: It’s both National Police Day and Revolution Day in Egypt. Scottish communities worldwide celebrate Burns Night, India has National Voters’ Day and Indonesia observes National Nutrition Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for an EAA Witness Pavona .380 or Rock Island .22TCM/9mm 1911 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Navy Arms 1892 Coyote Killer lever-action rifle, Magnum Research BFR .30-30 revolver, EAA Witness Pavona .380 or Diamondback Firearms DB9 micro-9mm pistol: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for an ATI FX 1911 Hybrid .45 pistol or Alpha Sport 12-gauge shotgun: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- Aero Precision, for a custom AR15 (7 days left!): http://gvwy.io/o4k4ek4
- GrabAGun, for an ATI Omni Maxx Hybrid quad-rail AR15: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry. Aero Precision giveaways also give me one entry each for the first ten people who use my referral link to enter.
Quote of the Day
“I’m the Teachable Moment your instructor warned you about.”–Northwest Firearms member “AndyInEverson,” on embarrassing “I can’t believe I did that” moments
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. That’s it for this week; hope you found something tasty, ’cause Junior’s giving me the “Feed Me!” look indicating it’s time for a Big Mac run.