Quickie Roundup: A Little Weird, A Little Heartwarming, and A Little Heartwrenching
- City of Pittsburgh issues eight slumlord citations against… itself. And the judge won’t let ’em dismiss.
- Single and a police officer? Pro-Tip: Lights & Sirens as a pickup technique is a REAL Bad Idea, even in Nazi Jersey.
- Waco, TX zoo’s orangutans are expecting. Zoo staff decide they’re gonna do things human-style, including full Baby Registry at store and baby-shower.
- It’s Christmas Family Photo time again. What to do when a family member’s deployed a world away? Two photos and a little Photoshop magic save the holiday…
- Great Christmas Light Fight? Not for one family, who withdraw from Keeping Up With The Joneses via a simple “Ditto” in lights.
- Heartwarming: Package thieves terrorize Las Vegas neighborhood. Four-decade Army retiree and his 95-lb. German shepherd get fed up… and make a Special Delivery of their own.
- Heartwrenching: Ranger veteran Santa Claus makes last wish happen for terminally-ill child.
This Week In History
- Sunday, 12/11: UNC chartered, 1789; Indiana statehood, 1816; USMC sinks Japan’s first lost WWII warship at Wake Island, final lunar landing, 1972
- Monday, 12/12: Penn. ratiies Constitution, 1789; sinking of USS Cairo, 1862; Panay Incident, 1937
- Tuesday, 12/13: Dartmouth founded, 1769; Lee defeats Burnside at Fredericksburg, 1862; Saddam Hussein captured, 2003
- Wednesday, 12/14: Alabama statehood, 1819; plutonium first isolated, 1940; Cernan leaves last-to-date footprint on moon, 1972
- Thursday, 12/15: Virginia ratification makes Bill of Rights law, 1791; Prohibition repealed, 1933; “Boeing”* 787 first flight, 2009
- Friday, 12/16: Boston Tea Party, 1773; first two of four major New Madrid Fault quakes**, 1811; TR’s Great White Fleet sets sail to circle the globe, 1907
- Saturday, 12/17: France diplomatically recognizes USA, 1777; first powered flight, 1903; first flights of DC-3, 1935, B-47 Stratojet, 1947, and combat debut of F-86 Sabre, 1950
*”Real Boeing” died with the McDonnell takeover/so-called “merger” August 1, 1997. As the McDouchebags said at the time, “we bought Boeing using Boeing’s own money”…
**The first of these caused damage as far away as the under construction Capitol in DC.
Today’s Birthdays: New York Central RR founder Erastus Corning, 1794; aviation hero Jimmy Doolittle, 1896; actress Patty Duke and talent agent Michael Ovitz, 1946; FBI director James Comey, 1960.
Holidays Around the World: It’s Alabama Day. Tokyo observes 47 Ronin Remembrance Day in memory of almost four dozen samurai who gave their lives in the name of honor and avenging their slain master, Bangladesh has Martyred Intellectuals Day and internationally it’s Monkey Day.
This Week In History is compiled with assistance from History.com and Wikipedia. Something interesting not listed here? Please share in the Comments section–this is an Audience Participation Encouraged featurette.
Gratuitous Gun Giveaways
- *American Handgunner magazine, for a Rock Island .22TCM/9mm 1911 pistol package: http://americanhandgunner.com/giveaway/
- *Guns Magazine, for a Magnum Research BFR .30-30 Winchester revolver, Diamondback Firearms DB9 micro 9mm pistol, or Mossberg Patriot rifle: http://gunsmagazine.com/giveaway/
- Davidson’s Gallery of Guns, for a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 or Ruger American Pistol in 9mm: https://ggg.galleryofguns.com/
- GrabAGun, for a Ruger LC9S 9mm pistol: http://grabagun.com/giveaway
- **Classic Firearms, for assorted AR and AK accessory packs and several ComBloc-surplus rifles: https://wn.nr/P3MBC4
*Note: FMG Publishing giveaways require you to provide an FFL dealer’s info at entry.
**Note: For each of you who enter, you also give me an extra entry
It occurs to me that as we approach the holiday season, it might be cathartic to have a little mini-Festivus, just blow off some steam about those little things that really irk us just between you and me and a few of our closest RedState friends around the Watercooler. I’ll go first: pundits, personalities, Serious Personalities, including a few around this very site, who can’t be bothered to either use spellcheck or crack open a dictionary. “Amendment” is TWO M’s, NOT three, and if you don’t take your writing seriously enough to check spelling and grammar, how do you expect me or anyone to take IT or YOU seriously? I’m not talking Discus threads here, but rather main Front Page articles…
Okay, rant over, I feel much better now. Who wants to go next? 🙂
Quote of the Day
With the holidays approaching…
One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don’t clean it up too quickly.–Andy Rooney
As always, the Watercooler is an Open Thread. Now that you’ve had a little to take the edge off your thirst–hey, where’d my Eggnog Shake go?–you’re invited to pull up a chair and share your own juicy scuttlebutt.